Long and crispy baguettes have become a common part of the bakery assortment and everyone knows them mainly when sandwiched.
But occasionally, especially in American movies and novels, a pastry called a bagel appears.
Try our luxurious coated bagel recipes 5 different ways!
And as a bonus, we have a tip for you on how to prepare this pastry yourself at home.
Bagel with smoked salmon
A crispy sesame bagel topped with smoked salmon and a fresh spread with dill and sun-dried tomatoes is an absolute delicacy!
- 120 g of fresh Lučina type cream cheese
- 1-2 spoons of thick plain yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped dill + whole sprigs for garnish salt
- 1-2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 2 bagels sprinkled with sesame seeds
- 200 g slices of smoked salmon
- 80 g of dried tomatoes, chopped
- Mix the cheese with white yogurt, dill and chives.
- Add salt to taste and season with lemon juice.
- Cut the bagel lengthwise and toast it (in a toaster, in a pan or in the oven under the grill).
- Always spread the bottom part of the bagel with spread, put chopped sun-dried tomatoes on it, cover with slices of smoked salmon and garnish with dill.
We also have 6 great recipes for homemade baguettes for you. You will enjoy!
Bagel with Parma ham
This dish will also serve as a tasty snack for children at school. Almost everyone likes the combination of Parma ham, grass and tomatoes!
- 2 bagels
- 100 g of meadow cheese
- fresh herbs
- 100 g Parma ham
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- bugle for decoration
- Mix the lucine with the herbs.
- Cut the bagel lengthwise.
- We always rub the lower part of the bagel with grass with herbs, cover with tomatoes, slices of Parma ham and decorate with a bugle.
Sweet bagel with blueberries and mascarpone
You can also decorate the bagel with sweet ingredients and prepare a luxurious breakfast not only for your children! Get inspired by this recipe with sweet blueberries, mascarpone and homemade lemon cream.
- 1 bagel, cut in half
- a small handful of blueberries
- 1 teaspoon of granulated or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 2 tablespoons of mascarpone
- 1 and ½ spoons of lemon cream
For the lemon cream:
- 200 g of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 ml of lemon juice
- ½ cup butter, cold
- Let’s prepare the lemon cream.
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
- Peel the lemons.
- We juice the lemons so that we get about half a cup of juice from them, and do not forget to strain the seeds.
- Put the egg yolks in a pot and beat them lightly with a wire whisk.
- Add sugar to the pot and beat it together with the egg yolks into a light mass.
- Gradually stir in the lemon juice.
- Heat over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, bubbles and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pot from the heat, then add the cold cubed butter and stir until melted.
- We can still strain the final mixture.
- Let it cool and put it in the fridge.
- Toast the bagel until golden.
- Meanwhile, put the blueberries in a small saucepan along with the sugar and water.
- Place over medium heat and heat until the sugar dissolves (this should take about a minute or two).
- We turn off the flame.
- Take a toasted bagel and cut both halves in half.
- Spread mascarpone on both lower parts.
- Spread the lemon cream on top of the mascarpone and sprinkle with sweetened blueberries.
- We close the upper parts of the bagels and we can serve!
If you have a home bakery, prepare the bagel dough listed at the end of the article in it. It will be even better. Are you looking for inspiration to choose a home bakery? We have a test of the most popular home bakeries for you. Take a look!
Discover similar tips
Bagel with ox eye and bacon
An excellent breakfast bagel that will keep you going until lunch because it’s incredibly hearty! The popular combination of bacon and eggs is topped with a luxurious homemade tomato and hollandaise sauce. You just have to try it!
- 8 slices of bacon
- 4 bagels
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of homemade tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup homemade hollandaise sauce
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
For homemade tomato sauce (you won’t use it all):
- 1 kg of ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 sliced red onions
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of small capers
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
For the homemade hollandaise sauce (you won’t use it all):
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee, or more for a thinner consistency, melted and hot
- Let’s prepare the tomato sauce.
- Mix 1 kg of diced tomatoes, 2 chopped red onions, 150 ml of extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of sea salt in a blender.
- Turn out onto a baking tray and place in the oven set to the grill function for 5-10 minutes or until burnt.
- Return to the bowl, stir in 2 grated cloves of garlic and 3 tablespoons of small capers and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Let’s put it aside.
- Let’s prepare the hollandaise sauce.
- Cover the butter and melt it in the microwave (it can also be melted on the stove).
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper to a high-powered blender and blend for 5 seconds until combined.
- With the mixer running on medium power, slowly pour the hot butter into the mixture.
- Pour into a bowl and continue preparing the bagel.
- Place the bacon on the grill and grill it until golden brown on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the eggs until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Cut the bagels in half and toast until golden.
- Spread a spoonful of tomato sauce on the bottom of each toasted bagel.
- Top with bacon, ox eye, hollandaise sauce and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
An ox eye, or fried egg, is a sight to behold. How to make the egg form a white ring with a distinct yellow center, so that the white is almost solid, but the yolk is semi-liquid?
You can find out everything about the bull’s eye in our article !
Bagel with chicken
We can also prepare a bagel prepared in this way for a small trip or picnic, it will surely be delicious for everyone involved.
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 6 slices of sliced pre-cooked English bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped spring onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 bagels
- Salt, pepper and fry the chicken in a pan, let it cool.
- Mix all the ingredients together with the chicken in a bowl and make a salad.
- Cut the bagel in half and place a heap of the prepared salad on the bottom.
- Garnish with a slice of cucumber, fold and serve.
How to bake a homemade bagel
Prepare this recipe the night before you plan to serve it, as the dough needs to rest overnight and rise for an hour in the morning.
For the dough:
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 7 g of dry yeast
- 1 and ¼ cups warm water
- 540 g baking flour
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
For poaching water:
- 1½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
To the surface:
- 1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon water
- homemade bagel seasoning mix (for sprinkling)
For the bagel seasoning mix (you won’t use it all):
- 4 teaspoons of white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds or other white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons of dried garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dried onion
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Mix the seasoning ingredients.
- Mix the maple syrup, yeast and water in a bowl and let it rise for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and yeast to the bowl of a mixer with a dough attachment.
- Mix on medium-low speed for 5 to 7 minutes.
- If the dough is dry after 3 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Transfer the dough to the work surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes, then shape into a ball and place in a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes until the dough has risen.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper and grease with oil.
- Turn the dough out onto an unfloured work surface and divide it into 8 parts, which we shape into balls.
- Drop a little water on the worktop.
- Roll each ball into a rope about 20 cm long.
- Place one hand palm up so that the four fingers are centered on the rope.
- Fold each side of the dough over your fingers so that the ends overlap by about 5 cm.
- We hold the dough, turn our hand and roll it with our hand on the work surface so that the two ends come together.
- Put the bagels on a baking sheet.
- Dust the tops with flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, take the trays out of the fridge and let them rest for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C.
- We put the bagel in a bowl of water to make sure it floats.
- If the dough sinks, let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bring two liters of water with maple syrup, baking soda and salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the bagels and when the water starts to boil, reduce the temperature.
- Cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer the bagels to a baking sheet and turn the smooth side up.
- Beat the egg white and water in a small bowl and brush the bagels.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes.
And how did you like our recipes today? Write to us in the comments!