When we think of beef, most of us think of sirloin.
But there is also another part from which irresistible delicacies can be prepared.
Don’t you believe? Try our beef squirrel recipes!
Whether you decide to prepare it classically in the form of a steak, with wine or as a goulash, a gastronomic experience will always be guaranteed!
Beef squirrel steak on the grill
If you’re a steak lover, you’ve probably already heard of it. Due to the location of this meat, it is also called hanger steak (from the English hang=to hang) and is always a unique pleasure.
- 700 g beef squirrel
- quarter cup of olive oil
- fresh lemon juice from two lemons
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt pepper
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, thyme and pressed garlic cloves in a bowl.
- Place the beef in the resulting marinade, cover with cling film and leave to marinate at room temperature for at least one hour.
- During this time, turn the meat in the marinade several times.
- Preheat the grill, or you can use a grill pan, and brush the grate lightly with oil.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium-high heat for at least 5 minutes on each side (time depends on how well done you prefer your steaks).
- Remove the beef tenderloin from the grill and let it rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes.
- Cut the meat into slices.
Serve beef squirrel steaks with fresh bread and vegetable salad, or with American potatoes.
You can prepare a great grilled beef squirrel steak not only on an outdoor grill, but also at home in a suitable pan. Don’t know which one to choose? Check out our grill pan test .
Beef squirrel on wine
Due to its specific taste, this meat is considered a real delicacy. Revive it with a fragrant red wine sauce and offer it for lunch not only to your Sunday guests!
- 400 g beef squirrel
- a cup of red wine
- a cup of beef broth
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tbsp mustard
- olive oil
- salt pepper
- Salt and pepper the beef squirrel on both sides.
- Heat a pan and when it’s hot, drizzle a little oil on the bottom.
- Place the beef in the pan and sear it for about 5 minutes on each side, depending on its height.
- Remove the meat from the pan and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the finely chopped shallot.
- When the shallots are slightly glazed, add the wine and cook for a few minutes or so, until almost all of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the beef broth and cook again for about 5 minutes. The amount of broth should be reduced by approximately half.
- Then add mustard, salt and pepper to the mixture and mix everything thoroughly.
- Just before serving, add a spoonful of butter and let it melt freely in the sauce.
This dish is mainly served with mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes.
Discover similar tips
Beef squirrel stew
Prepare a luxurious goulash with an intense taste and an irresistible aroma. It perfectly fills you up and warms you not only in the cold winter months!
- 1200 g beef squirrel
- four cups of chicken broth
- 4 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 red peppers
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- half a cup of sweet Hungarian paprika
- Bay leaf
- salt pepper
- flour for thickening
- fresh parsley for garnish
- First, lightly fry the salted and peppered beef on both sides for approximately 5 minutes. Then put the meat aside.
- Then put the chopped onion, carrot, garlic, pepper and celery in the pot with the rest of the oil and cook everything until the vegetables are soft and slightly browned.
- Add Hungarian paprika and stir for a moment.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pot and also add the soy sauce, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cut the beef squirrel into pieces and dust lightly with flour.
- Add the meat prepared in this way to the pot with a mixture of vegetables and spices and cook for approximately one hour, covered with a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pieces of vegetables and spices from the pot, or season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley.
You can choose dumpling or potatoes as a side dish for this dish. If you like vegetables, you can also leave a few pieces of carrot or pepper in the stew.
Goulash has long been one of the most popular traditional dishes. Get inspired by our goulash recipes 10 times differently !
Beef steak on vegetables
If you prefer a healthy and light diet, definitely try the option with only vegetables. This tasty delicacy will supply your body with the necessary amount of protein and vitamins.
- 700 g beef squirrel
- 1-2 potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 300 g of green beans
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 15 g of butter
- a teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- lemon zest from one lemon
- salt pepper
- Let the ground beef rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Put the green beans and sliced potatoes or sweet potatoes in the pan, pour a little olive oil over everything and add salt.
- Brush the meat with the remaining oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and, preferably in a grill pan, lightly sear on each side for approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the meat and let it rest for about 10 minutes, then slice it.
- Meanwhile, fry the vegetables until soft.
- Prepare a dip by mixing butter, mustard, lemon zest, pepper and thyme.
What is beef squirrel and how to prepare it properly?
The term beef squirrel refers to the muscular attachment of the diaphragm, which is made up of two elongated muscles that are connected by a membrane. Even if the squirrel is not nearly as well known as the tenderloin, it is in many ways its great competition.
- Due to the fragility and distinctive flavor of its meat, all kinds of steaks are most often prepared from beef squirrel.
- In addition to the English name hanger steak, you can also meet the French onglet or the Italian lombatello.
- After baking, the beef squirrel should be allowed to rest for approximately 10 minutes before slicing, the meat will then be even more tender and juicy.
- Beef tenderloin is always cut perpendicular to the grain.
Get cooking as soon as possible! Whichever beef squirrel recipe you decide to try, the result will always be a gourmet experience.