Do you have old bread at home and don’t know what to do with it?
You may think of toast, but how about a delicious soup?
Do you like cold, refreshing soups, or do you prefer rich and thick soups that warm you up?
Try our recipes for bread soup that will surprise you with its taste.
This great garlic will not only fill you up, but also warm you pleasantly on cold days.
- 2 slices of stale bread
- garlic paste (8 cloves of garlic mashed with 1 teaspoon of salt)
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 1 liter of broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 eggs
- sprig of parsley (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil
- Fry the garlic cloves in olive oil. Be careful not to burn it or it will turn bitter
- Before the garlic roasts, cut the bread into cubes
- Add the bread cubes to the toasted garlic paste and mix
- Pour in the broth
- Add bay leaf, salt and pepper
- Cook for about 10 minutes
- In the meantime, stir the eggs and add to the soup after 10 minutes
- Let the eggs cook for about a minute
Serve the soup sprinkled with a sprig of parsley, or perhaps with wild garlic.
Also try the irresistible bear garlic soup .
Towards the end of cooking, you can squeeze one clove of garlic into the soup. This gives the soup a stronger garlic flavor.
Tuscan Pancotto Soup
This bread soup recipe is very traditional and popular in Italy.
Will it also become your favorite home recipe?
- 250 g old bread
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely grated smaller carrot
- 1/2 finely grated celery (smaller bulb)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 liter of water
- 80 g of grated parmesan
- Cut or tear the bread into smaller pieces and place in a bowl
- If the bread is harder, pour a little water to soften it, crumble it and put it aside
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, carrot, celery, a whole clove of garlic and fry until the root vegetables are soft.
- When it becomes soft, add 1 liter of water and chili. Close the lid and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the bread and cook until the bread is cooked through and the soup is thick and creamy. It takes about 10 minutes.
- Add half of the grated cheese, stir and remove the pot from the heat.
- Serve the soup sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
When serving, you can decorate the soup with chopped herbs from the garden.
You can not only decorate ready-made dishes with herbs, but also use them as the main ingredient in excellent herbal recipes .
Cold Spanish Salmorejo soup
This soup is excellent on hot summer days as an alternative to a light refreshing lunch.
- 4 slices of stale bread
- 1 kg of fresh tomatoes
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 125 ml of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 spoons of wine or apple vinegar
- Cut the bread into small cubes and let it dry a little
- While the bread is drying, cut the tomatoes into small cubes
- Put the tomatoes in a stand mixer (if you don’t have a stand mixer, use a large bowl and blend with an immersion blender)
- Press the garlic, salt and sprinkle the bread cubes over the tomatoes
- Blend everything together to make a puree, taste and add salt as needed
- When you have blended everything into a smooth puree, start mixing the mixture slowly again and add the olive oil in a thin stream and then the vinegar in the same way
- After mixing the oil and vinegar, taste the soup, if necessary add a little more vinegar
- The soup should not be too thick, if it is, you can dilute it with a little cold water
- Leave the soup to cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving
Serve the soup with chopped herbs, dried ham, or a boiled quail egg.
Discover similar tips
Bread soup with mushrooms
If you have dried mushrooms at home, you can add them to the soup. Mushrooms add great flavor to the soup.
- 6 slices of stale bread
- 20 g of dried mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 250 ml of vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- olive oil
- Soak the dried mushrooms in water and set aside
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and fry the onion and garlic.
- Add chilli, oregano, sweet paprika, salt and pepper to the pot and fry until the spices are fragrant
- Squeeze the excess water from the mushrooms and if they are large, cut them into pieces, put them in a pot and fry for about 5 minutes
- After the mushrooms are fried, add the spinach and cover with vegetable stock
- Bring the soup to a boil and let it cook for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are soft
- While the soup base is cooking, cut the bread into pieces and fry it in another pot with butter
- When the bread is toasted, pour the prepared soup over it and let it boil for another 5 minutes
When serving, you can use roasted fresh mushrooms for decoration.
You can enhance the taste of the soup by toasting the bread on the bacon.
You only need a few ingredients for this very quick, simple and tasty soup
- 3 slices of stale bread cut into cubes
- 2 handfuls of chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 l of vegetable broth
- olive oil
- In a small pot, heat the oil in which to fry the garlic
- Add a handful of cilantro to the roasted garlic and immediately pour over the stock and let it cook
- Meanwhile, fry the bread cubes in oil in a large pot
- Pour the already prepared soup over the toasted bread, let it boil for about 5 minutes
- Remove the soup from the boil and add half of the remaining cilantro
- Add salt to the soup to taste
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the poached eggs to serve
- Beat the eggs in a bowl
- Bring about a liter of water to a boil and add a spoonful of vinegar to it
- When the water boils, reduce the heat and swirl the spoon in the pot
- Put the egg in the whirlpool and leave it in the water for about 5 minutes
Serve the soup in a deep plate, put a poached egg on top and sprinkle with coriander.
If the classic preparation of a poached egg seems complicated to you, do not despair, we have a tip for you to simplify the preparation of such an egg.
Place fresh foil in a bowl and beat the eggs into it. Tie the fresh foil with the egg and put it in boiling water for 5 minutes.
Pappa al pomodoro
This soup is very popular in Italy, especially when the tomatoes are ripening.
- 4 thicker slices of stale bread
- 800 g of ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic cut into small pieces
- 1 chili pepper or 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 250 ml of hot water
- olive oil
- a handful of fresh basil
- bowl with ice and ice water
- Dip the tomatoes in boiling water for half a minute and then cool them sharply in a bowl of ice
- Peel the skin from the tomatoes and mash them in a bowl with your hands or a potato masher
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Put the garlic, chili in the hot oil and fry the garlic until golden
- Add the tomatoes to the roasted garlic before it boils. This will take about 20 minutes
- When the tomatoes are cooked, crumble the bread into the pot and add boiling water
- Season with salt and cook for about 10 minutes
- Stir the contents of the pot occasionally with a whisk, this will give it a creamy texture
- Once cooked, remove from heat, add chopped basil leaves and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Let the soup sit for a while before serving, so the flavors will combine beautifully.
If you use canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes, you can enjoy the soup all year round.
Did you know that you can extend the freshness of bread with a simple trick that consists in storing it?
After bringing the bread from the store, take it out of the plastic bag and put it in a cloth towel, or in a special cloth bag for bread, which you place in the bread box, so you can extend its life by a few days.
If you want to keep the bread for a longer time, you can also freeze it. Always put bread in the freezer fresh, unsliced and in a plastic bag.
If you thaw the bread at room temperature, it will be in the same condition as it was before you put it in the freezer.
Will you cook one of the soups from old bread, or would you rather stick to classic toasts?
Tell us in the comments which of the soups became your favorite 🙂
Enjoy your meal!