If you are a meat lover, you must try the chimichurri sauce recipes that you will love.
This great delicacy from South America will tantalize your taste buds because it is full of delicious herbs.
Delight your loved ones and try preparing our sauce for them, for example, for an afternoon snack or for a party with grilled meat.
Classic Chimichurri sauce
It is a very popular delicacy in Argentina, which is used as a marinade, but also as a classic sauce for grilled steak, fish, chicken or lamb, and also for pasta.
You can enrich any of your favorite dishes with this delicacy. Try, for example, recipes for grilled pork and see how it will taste completely different with the marinade.
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano leaves (or you can use 2 teaspoons of dried oregano)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Finely chop the parsley, fresh oregano and garlic and place in a small bowl.
- Mix in olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. We can add more spices, it depends on how much we like spicy.
- Serve immediately or let it sit in the cold. However, it is necessary to remove the sauce earlier so that it has room temperature before serving.
- We can keep it in the fridge for one to two weeks at most.
Discover similar tips
This cold sauce is made from a mixture of fresh minced parsley, garlic, red wine vinegar, oregano and olive oil. It comes from Uruguay and Argentina and can be prepared in just 5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 small diced red chili pepper with seeds
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper (you can also use pepper of four colors)
- 2/3 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Add chopped parsley, garlic, shallot, oregano, red chili, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor.
- We mix at a low speed so that the ingredients are just mixed, but not a thick paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and cover it with extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix gently to combine.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve with grilled or baked meat, vegetables or use as a marinade.
What is Chimichurri?
It is a cold sauce that resembles pesto in color and consistency. Chimichurri is popular throughout South America, especially in Argentina and Uruguay, although it has fans all over the world.
There are really many variants, because everyone can adjust the composition as it suits them best. Among other things, you can use dried herbs instead of fresh ones or combine them.
Basic ingredients of Chimichurri:
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Garlic cloves
- Shallot (optional – not authentic)
- Dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- Red chili or dried chili flakes
- black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make the sauce?
The preparation is simple and does not involve any cooking. The ideal helper is a food processor, which chops everything into very small pieces. However, we have to be careful not to make a thick paste out of the raw material, which would then be pesto and not chimichurri.
If we don’t have a robot, we simply use a knife and cut the individual ingredients into the smallest possible pieces or we take a herb cleaver and chop the herbs properly.
How to serve her?
This traditional Argentinian seasoning can be served with steak or grilled meat. However, it can easily be combined with chicken, shrimps and is also suitable for fish. Such a teaspoon of sauce for cod or salmon will do wonders.
It is perfect for marinating meat, but also for grilling and roasting. Don’t be afraid to experiment and taste pasta, pizza, eggs, rice, grilled vegetable skewers, salad and even soup with it. There are no limits to imagination and everything can be tried.
The great advantage of this marinade/sauce is its versatility. Thanks to this, we can essentially throw in any tasty ingredient and thus produce another alternative to the basic version.
Fresh oregano with arugula is excellent, but also fresh dill, mint, cabbage, Swiss chard, green mustard and others. Of course, you only need a little of each selected ingredient, but it’s still worth it.