Are you looking for an ideal accompaniment to meat or just a light snack? Recipes for cabbage salad in different variants are perfect.
It is a perfect delicacy for, for example, a family barbecue, but it can easily be prepared just as an appetizer for roast meat.
Delight your family members and friends with something new, unusual, and above all perfectly tasty.
You certainly have your favorite pieces that you prepare regularly, but what if you find one among our recipes that you don’t know and would like to try?
This delicacy probably needs no introduction. It is popular, extremely simple and goes with practically everything.
It is especially excellent with baked meatballs. Do not hesitate to view the recipes for baked chicken . It will be an absolutely perfect accompaniment to chicken.
- 1 package of coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup of good quality mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 spoons of honey (if you don’t have it, you can replace it with the same amount of granulated sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar and salt to taste.
- Place the coleslaw mixture on a sieve and rinse. Allow to drain and then transfer to a bowl.
- Pour over the mayonnaise mixture, mix thoroughly and serve immediately.
Cabbage salad with carrots
Delicious, affordable for everyone, and most importantly beneficial to our health. That’s exactly what this vegetable dish is, which will caress your taste buds thanks to the luxurious mayonnaise. Prepare it for a family celebration or for friends during an afternoon sit-down. They will lick each other the next day.
- 800 g of fresh white cabbage
- 800 g of fresh carrots
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard (can be 1 whole)
- 2-3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional to taste)
- 1 cup of avocado oil
- Cut the cabbage into very thin strips, either with the cutting attachment of a food processor or with a sharp knife.
- Clean the carrot and also cut it into carrots. Put both in a bowl. Wash, clean and drain the coriander.
- Put eggs, mustard, lime juice, salt, pepper in a tall container and start mixing using an immersion stick blender and slowly pour oil in as thin a stream as possible.
- Mix until the mayonnaise thickens. As soon as the mayonnaise is thick, take 4 tablespoons into another bowl.
- Add 1 cup of coriander leaves and blend with a blender. When the coriander mayonnaise is smooth, add pure mayonnaise and mix.
- Transfer the finished mayonnaise to a bowl with cabbage and carrots, mix thoroughly and season with salt or pepper, or both, if necessary.
Tip: If you don’t know how to choose the right kitchen helper for your hand, or your old one has worn out, go through our hand blender review and choose a new partner.
Spicy horseradish mixture
Crunchy cabbage is perhaps the best ingredient that can be used to prepare a salad. However, when it is seconded by sharp horseradish, excellent Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, there is no shortage of luxurious taste. This coleslaw will definitely kick you up a notch.
- 1 head of fresh white cabbage
- 2 cups of good quality mayonnaise or your favorite creamy salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping spoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (if we are going to add salad dressing, then we will omit the sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 3 chopped medium carrots
- With a sharp knife, cut the head of cabbage into quarters and remove the hard parts (skin).
- Cut the individual quarters into the thinnest possible slices and place in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix mayonnaise, grated horseradish, apple cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the well-mixed mixture to the chopped cabbage, throw in the carrots and mix thoroughly to combine all the flavors.
- We can serve immediately or put it in the fridge to cool for 3-4 hours.
Discover similar tips
Vegetable bowl with dill
If we start preparing this type of dish, we need to remember that the vegetables must be crunchy and perfectly fresh. Otherwise it wouldn’t have the right taste.
- 600 g savoy cabbage cut into very thin slices
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 400 g fresh fennel (cleaned and chopped into fine pieces.
- Ice water + ice cubes
- 1 salad cucumber, not thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 3 spoons of poppy seeds
- We will prepare three bowls with ice water and ice cubes. Put chopped cabbage in one, onion in the second and fennel in the third. Let the vegetables stand in an ice bath for 30 minutes.
- Then drain all the vegetables and dry them in a salad spinner.
- Place the dried vegetables in a large bowl and set aside for now.
- In another bowl, mix the chopped cucumber with 2 teaspoons of salt and also pour ice water over it. Let it stand for 30 minutes and then also put it in the centrifuge.
- Transfer to a bowl with the other vegetables.
- Pour the cream and vinegar into the cucumber bowl and beat until stiff. Add dill, poppy seeds and season with salt.
- Finally, stir in the cabbage, onion, fennel and cucumber and serve immediately.
It is very refreshing and is wonderful with grilled meat. We usually associate this type of cabbage with dumplings, pork, greens, but believe me, you will enjoy it perfectly even in this form.
- 1 liter of drained sauerkraut
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2 cup green and red bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (can also be sunflower oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or more if you find the salad too salty)
- Place the drained sauerkraut in a large bowl.
- Add onion, celery, pepper and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the oil, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Take the vegetables out of the fridge, cover them with the prepared sugar mixture and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for 24 hours to let the salad age.
- The next day, it is enough to serve.
Pub bastion in the Polish way
With this recipe, you can try a simple dish that is an alternative to the delicacy served at the popular NorthWoods Inn California restaurant.
It focuses on Polish and American cuisine. Like many other Polish delicacies of this type, this coleslaw is based on vinegar and does not contain even a drop of mayonnaise.
- 1/2 head of fresh red cabbage
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 spoons of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (available at stores like Lawry’sSeasoned Salt)
- Divide the cabbage into two parts, while one is finely chopped, the other coarsely. Place in a large bowl.
- First, whisk the vegetable oil, sugar and red wine vinegar in a small bowl.
- Then mix in onion powder, salt, ground black pepper and seasoned salt.
- Pour the sauce over the chopped cabbage and mix as well as possible.
- Cover the bowl with foil and store in the refrigerator.
- Let the salad sit for 48 hours. The cabbage turns red, softens and all the flavors come together.
- If it is left to sit for 4 to 5 days, then it tastes absolutely divine. It just takes so much patience.
Tip: If you can’t find Lawry’s seasoned salt, try making your own at home. This salt is actually a mixture of several types of spices and salt.
Mix 6 tablespoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic, 2 and 1/4 teaspoons ground sweet pepper, 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (or just turmeric), 1 teaspoon dried mustard, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon dried dill, 1/2 teaspoon celery salt.
Just mix thoroughly and store in a closed container that seals really well in a cool but dry place.
Cabbage is a favorite and one of the essential ingredients for many households. The advantage is that these vegetables have a long shelf life. You can divide the head into parts and use it in different dishes. If we pack the individual parts appropriately, they can easily last up to 14 days. Sometimes, however, we have to mist it with a little water.
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (washed thoroughly)
- 1/2 minced jalapeño pepper (including seeds)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 300 g of tofu cut into 2 cm thick slices
- 1/2 head of shredded white cabbage
- 1 large cleaned and grated carrot
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce, lime juice and zest, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Finally, whisk in another 3 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- Remove the tofu from the packaging and dry it with kitchen paper towels.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large pan and once it starts to shimmer, add the tofu slices.
- Let it roast for 3 minutes so that it acquires a golden brown hue. Then carefully turn and bake for another 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a plate on which to place paper towels and then pile the fried tofu on them.
- As soon as the excess fat is absorbed into the paper towels, we move it to a cutting board.
- Mix in the remaining 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce.
- Coat the tofu with this mixture on both sides and then cut it into bite-sized equal pieces.
- Transfer the tofu to a large bowl, add the cabbage, carrots, peanuts and the sauce/dressing we prepared at the beginning.
- Mix thoroughly and serve.
- Garnish with peanuts and coriander before serving.
A few points of interest at the end
Basic types of cabbage
White head is the most commonly used and we divide it into early, summer and autumn. It is suitable as a side dish, in soup, for stuffing, but also as a main course or in salads. It can even be used in some dough.
Red cabbage is an indispensable accompaniment to roast duck. He is seconded by oranges or apples. In addition to cabbage salads, it is a perfect ingredient for soups, especially for the popular borscht. It can also be stewed in wine with spices.
In contrast, Peking cabbage has an elongated shape, firm leaves and a much milder taste than classic white cabbage. In its raw form, it is an ideal ingredient in various Asian salads. Cooked, it fits perfectly into soup and is also suitable for stir-frying in various dishes.
Why consume cabbage?
By regular consumption, we supplement our body with the necessary vitamins and minerals. Cabbage is rich in fiber, has a low caloric value, and does not contain cholesterol or fat.
What health-promoting substances can we find in cabbage?
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamins of group B
- Phosphorus and many others.
When we also prepare sauerkraut, we get a helper in the prevention of lung, colon, liver and breast cancer. It contains microorganisms beneficial to our intestinal microflora, improves overall digestion and helps absorb nutrients.
We recognize fennel
This medicinal plant has many supporters in our country not only because of its typical aromatic smell and taste, but also because of the properties it possesses.
It is similar to dill, and is mostly found in the Mediterranean region, but also in East Asia. In the Czech Republic, it thrives in southern Moravia.
We can find use for the leaves, root or petioled part, but of course also for the fruits. However, fennel seeds are clearly the most used.
What do fennel seeds contain?
- Essential oil
- Phenylcarboxylic acids
- Fatty oil
- Vitamins A, B, C, E and many other beneficial substances.
Why consume fennel?
- To boost immunity/immune system, it is also an all-natural antioxidant.
- It helps support normal and completely natural digestion and the normal function of the respiratory system.
- It is a stimulant for the production of breast milk.
- It relieves coughing and helps loosen mucus.
- It has stimulating effects on food.
Tip: Fennel makes a great tea. Just pour 2 teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in 250 ml of boiling water and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Then we just strain it and we can drink it 3 times a day when we have a cold. This tea perfectly cleans the respiratory tract.
What are the types of vinegar?
Vinegar is an indispensable part of every household. In addition to being an excellent appetizer for various dishes, it is also a great helper for home cleaning. It helps in the kitchen especially when preserving vegetables, but such cooked lentils cannot do without it either.
- Wine vinegar – red or white wine is used to make it. The best quality are those that mature in a wooden barrel. They can be there for up to 2 years.
- Apple cider vinegar – its color is yellow-brown and it is mainly made from apple cider.
- Balsamic vinegar – has a specific taste and aroma. His homeland is Modena, Italy, in the north of the country. For the production of this type of vinegar, pressed grapes are used, specifically from the Trebbiano variety. If we really want the best balsamic vinegar in its traditional form, then it is the one that ages for at least 12 years in wooden barrels. Here, it is necessary to take into account the higher price, which is comparable to the highest quality and best wines.
- Rice vinegar – light, red and dark are produced. The dark variant is the most used in China. The light version is usually added to salad dressings or rice for sushi.
- Alcoholic vinegar – it is also called fermented and is created by allowing diluted ethanol to ferment. It has versatile uses, whether as an ingredient in drinks due to its similar aroma and taste to citric acid, or as a cleaning agent. Also great for cleaning washing machine or windows.
- Malt vinegar – as the name suggests, the main raw material is barley and its malting. This causes the starch contained in the grain to be converted into so-called maltose, which is actually malt sugar. Then it is basically brewed into something like fermented beer. Wait until it hardens and then let the vinegar mature until it has a light brown color.
In the recipes, you will also come across the name tofu, which is a popular ingredient in Asian cuisine. See how it is actually made.