For fans of fast food, fish and chips recipes are the best way to eat quickly.
Are you planning a party with friends, a celebration with relatives or simply a party for all who come?
Make them this easy, yet amazingly delicious dish that will leave them dying to eat.
Great fries and fish fried until golden in an excellent batter will please even the most demanding gourmet.
Classic British Fish and Chips
This dish ranks among the British national dishes, which are among the most popular ever. You can buy it there basically on every corner in one of the many thousands of shops.
But there is nothing better than preparing such a meal in the comfort of your own home. For fish lovers, there is no harm in taking a look at pike recipes, for example.
For the fish:
- 7 tablespoons of plain flour
- 7 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Sea salt to taste
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper (if you like it hotter, you can add 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup cold dark beer
- 1/3 cup cold sparkling water
- 4 pieces of fish fillet
For the fries:
- 1,200 g peeled potatoes
- 1 liter of vegetable oil or lard for frying
- Put 5 tablespoons of flour in a large bowl, add cornstarch, baking powder and mix. Add a little salt, pepper and mix again.
- While constantly whisking with a fork, pour the beer into the flour mixture and then the sparkling water. We beat until all the ingredients are combined and a thick, smooth dough is formed.
- Store the dough prepared in this way in the refrigerator and let it rest for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cut the peeled potatoes into the shape of fries, put them in a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Put the rinsed fries in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to a gentle boil and let cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then carefully strain through a colander and dry with paper towels. We leave them spread out on paper towels, cover them with more paper towels and store them in the refrigerator until we process them.
- Dry the fish fillet lightly with paper towels and season with a little sea salt.
- We heat the oil in a deep fryer or a large deep pan to approx. 175 to 180 degrees and start frying the prepared fries in parts, each batch for about 2-3 minutes. It is important that they do not start to brown. Take them out of the oil, let them drain and put them aside for now.
- Put the remaining 2 spoons of flour on the plate, coat the fillet in it on both sides and knock the excess flour back onto the plate. Take the dough out of the fridge and thoroughly wrap the floured fillets in it.
- We check if the oil is still 175 to 180 degrees and dip the fillets in it. Fry them for about 8 minutes or until the batter is nicely golden and crispy, turning regularly with a slotted spoon.
- Remove the fried fillets from the oil and place them on a plate where we previously placed paper towels. Season with salt and cover with parchment paper. We keep them hot.
- After that, we heat the oil up to 200 degrees and throw in it again to fry parts of the fries so that they get a golden color and are crispy.
- Remove from the oil, drain and season with salt. Serve immediately with the fried fish to keep the food hot.
Discover similar tips
Gordon Ramsay’s Fish & Chips
Are you also one of those who occasionally like to taste some culinary delights from well-known chefs, but don’t always find the opportunity to go straight to the source?
There is nothing better than preparing something good at home according to their exact recipe. It tastes doubly good, and you feel happy about a job well done, especially when it tastes good to others too.
For the fish:
- 120 g of self-raising flour + 1 handful for coating the fish
- 175 g white fleshy fish (ideally cod)
- 1 egg white
- 160 ml of lager beer (or light beer, it depends on what we have)
- 1 large peeled potato
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
For the tartar sauce:
- 1 tablespoon chopped sterilized cucumbers
- 50 g crème fraîche
- 200 g of high-quality mayonnaise
- 3/4 shallots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large pan to a medium-high temperature and prepare the dough. For this, we first beat the egg white until it becomes stiff.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, curry, beer, and finally gently mix in the egg whites.
- Salt the fish, coat it in flour, shake off the excess flour and coat it in batter.
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes, while frying by turning the fish continuously in the pan and always pouring oil over the side that is at the top.
- Put the baked fish on a plate with paper towels, let it drain and immediately put it in the heated oven, which we preheat while frying to keep the fish hot.
- Cut the potatoes into chips, wrap them in paper towels and let them soak up the excess moisture.
- We make sure that the oil is still hot and put the fries in it to fry.
- When they acquire a golden brown color, we take them out with a slotted spoon on a paper towel and salt them.
- Finally, mix all the ingredients for the tartare and serve with fish and chips.
What is fish and chips
This dish has been known since the 19th century and to this day ranks among the most popular and especially traditional dishes in Great Britain. For example, Beatles member John Lennon loved batter-fried fish served with fries.
You can order it at basically every corner, and in many places they simply wrap it in a paper cone or similar packaging and just sprinkle it with the selected flavoring.
In earlier times, it was normal for a customer to receive their food in newsprint. However, it was banned in the 1980s to prevent contact between food and newspaper ink.
The cornerstone is always high-quality fresh fish, most often light cod, or other fish that has white meat.
The dough is most often prepared with mineral water, but it can be replaced with beer, or both can be used. At one time it was a common food of the working class. Today, it is one of the most popular fast food dishes.
What can fish & chips be served with?
- Salt and vinegar
- Curry sauce
- Tartar sauce
- Squashed peas
- Mint sauce
The first restaurant with fish & chips
Although it was normally eaten on the street wrapped in a newspaper cone, Samuel Isaacs decided to serve this delicacy in a regular restaurant as part of the menu.
It was in 1896 that the Isaacs Company opened the first restaurant serving fish and chips. The price was very affordable then, so even an ordinary worker could afford it.