Would you like to include more fish in your diet, but are you tired of eating them the same way over and over again?
We have prepared 5 luxurious healthy recipes for fish meatballs just for you!
They are simple, quick and very tasty.
Try the version with salmon, cod or carp.
Carp meatballs with sweet onions
Luxurious Polish-style fish meatballs with onions prepared in a delicious cherry jam sauce will turn even the biggest haters of carp into fans. See for yourself!
- 1 carp (1.5 kg) gutted, headless, finless; or 2 fillets
- oil for frying (e.g. rapeseed)
- 2 large onions
- 2 spoons of cherry jam
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- ½ bunch (20g) fresh thyme, dill or parsley leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 egg (you can substitute 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cooked millet (that’s about ⅓ cup dry, raw millet)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- If you have a whole gutted carp, remove the scales and cut off the head, tail and fins.
- Divide into fillets.
- If you feel any bones, remove them.
- Bake the fillets in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 35-45 minutes.
- The exact time will depend on the thickness of the fillet, so it’s worth testing if the carp is done by poking it with a fork.
- Leave to cool and grind twice in a meat grinder.
- Alternatively, finely chop the fillets with a knife or use a food processor.
- Cut the onion into julienne strips or half moons.
- Place the pan on the stove, add a tablespoon or two of oil, add the onion and sauté until lightly golden.
- Add two tablespoons of cherry jam, three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt and chopped fresh thyme.
- Grate the lemon zest and add it to the pan along with the lemon juice.
- Set aside or keep on very low heat.
- Back to the ground carp.
- Crack one egg (or for a dairy-free version, mix one tablespoon of ground flaxseed with three tablespoons of water) and add to the carp mass.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and cooked millet to the mass.
- Season generously with freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg and chopped fresh thyme.
- Mix everything well with a spatula or spoon.
- Use your hands to form patties about the size of a tennis ball.
- Cover them with breadcrumbs.
- Fry in a generous amount of oil until golden on both sides (about 5 minutes on each side).
- Serve with onion sauce and garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.
Thai fish cakes
You will simply fall in love with luxurious fish meatballs with the exotic flavors of Asia! Serve them with a delicious chilli-ginger sauce to give them the right kick.
For the fish cakes:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 500 g of frozen white fish, thawed
- 80g of Thai spices (prepare it by mixing and ideally crushing in a mortar 1-2 red chili peppers, a handful of fresh coriander, 2 spring onions, 4 cloves of garlic, a 2.5 cm piece of ginger and a stalk of lemongrass)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 130 g frozen green beans, thawed and finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 100 g of sugar
- 100 ml rice vinegar (or white wine)
- 100 ml of water
- 1 finely chopped red chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spread about a tablespoon of vegetable oil on the paper.
- Place the fish in a food processor and blend until smooth but not pasty.
- Add Thai seasoning, soy sauce, lime juice, egg and green beans and mix well.
- Add enough breadcrumbs to bring the mixture together and season to taste.
- Mix very well.
- Roll 16-18 balls from the mixture and shape them into patties.
- Place on greased baking paper on a baking sheet and brush the top of each fishcake with the remaining vegetable oil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn the fish cakes once during baking.
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When the sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5-7 minutes until the mixture has a syrupy consistency.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Also try at least one of our fish salad recipes and enjoy like never before!
Discover similar tips
Simple cod meatballs
These quick and easy fish meatballs make a great appetizer as well as a main course. Serve them with a favorite salad, for example, and diners will be delighted!
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 lemon wedge
- a pinch of sea salt and pepper
For the fish meatballs:
- 800 g raw cod fillets
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or hot sauce (optional)
- 1 and 1/2 cups crushed (wheat) crackers
- Bring the almond milk to a gentle boil.
- Then add the bay leaf, lemon, sea salt and pepper.
- Add the cod fillets and cook for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the cod with a slotted spoon and add to a mixing bowl to cool (at least) to room temperature.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl except the crackers.
- Shred the fish with a fork and mix everything thoroughly.
- Add the crushed crackers and mix until the batter is thick and comes together.
- If the batter is too wet, simply add crushed crackers until it thickens; optionally, if it is too dry, add another drop of mayonnaise or mustard.
- Form patties from the dough with your hands.
- For best results, refrigerate the meatballs for 15-20 minutes before frying.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the oil and then add 2-4 meatballs at a time (depending on how big your pan is).
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve with your favorite salad.
Healthy salmon meatballs
These low-calorie salmon and potato patties are flavored with red chili, lime and ginger, making them an absolute delicacy! Serve them with carrot and cucumber strips for a nutritious and healthy dinner.
- 600 g flour potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 3 salmon fillets 3 (approx. 360 g)
- 2 spring onions 2, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- juice and zest of 1 lime plus lime wedges to serve
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- ½ spoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into ribbons
- 1 cucumber, halved, trimmed and cut into ribbons
- Bring the water in a pot to the boil and add the potatoes.
- Lower the heat and place a metal strainer on top.
- Season the salmon fillets and put them in a colander.
- Cover with a lid and let the fish steam and the potatoes stew.
- Both should take 10 minutes – if the fish needs more time, give the fillets an extra 2 minutes, but remove the potatoes so they don’t overcook.
- Drain the potatoes well and let them cool slightly.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the scallions, chilli, lime zest, ginger and half the coriander.
- Mash together and season well.
- Remove the skin from the salmon fillets, coarsely grate them and mix them into the potato mixture.
- Divide into eight portions and shape each portion into a ball, which you flatten slightly to make eight patties.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and leave to cool for 15 minutes, then dust with chickpea flour.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the four fish patties to the pan.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden on the undersides, then carefully flip each meatball and fry for a further 3-4 minutes until evenly golden.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining oil and fish meatballs.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the lime juice, honey, vinegar and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- Add carrot and cucumber and mix.
- Add the remaining cilantro, season lightly and stir to finish.
- Once the fishmeals are ready, serve them with a carrot and cucumber salad and a wedge of lime for squeezing.
Quick fish meatballs
Light on the stomach and easy to digest, this dish is a healthy addition to your diet as it is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, it is tasty and easy to prepare. What more could you want from food?
- 3 cups fish fillets, thinly sliced
- salt as needed
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 handful of spring onions
- 2 boiled potatoes, mashed
- black pepper as needed
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 green chilies
- Place the sliced fillets in a bowl.
- Then add green chillies, spring onions, coriander leaves and mashed potatoes.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and shape it into a patty.
- Form as many patties as possible from the mixture.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto the plate.
- Coat the patties in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Take a baking tray and grease it with oil.
- Put the fish patties in the oven and bake them in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When done, transfer patties to a plate and serve hot.
Get inspired by our tasty grilled fish recipes . Everyone will enjoy!
And how did you like today’s recipes? Write to us in the comments!