Do you feel like baking some homemade pastries?
Tired of classic bread, buns or rolls and want to try something new?
Then you’ve come to the right place, because we have prepared for you the best recipes for focaccia, which is an Italian bread made from pizza-like dough.
Italian sourdough bread
Bake homemade sourdough focaccia from the best ingredients. If you do not process the entire dough, store it in the refrigerator, where it will last for 2-4 days.
Ingredients for leavening
- 25 g of wheat or rye sourdough
- 90 ml of water
- 100 g plain flour
The remaining ingredients
- 250 ml of water + spoon for preparation
- 400 g plain flour
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- sprig of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- coarse salt
- First, you prepare the leaven by mixing all the ingredients and letting it rise in a warm place for 8-10 hours.
- Mix the finished yeast in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients – flour, water, olive oil and salt. Knead the loose dough, which you place in a bowl wiped with olive oil and leave to rise for 40-45 minutes.
- Then fold the dough over, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, preheat the oven to 220°C. Line a tray with baking paper and brush with a little olive oil.
- Scrape the risen dough onto the baking sheet and use oiled fingers to spread it over the baking sheet, leaving a height of 2 cm.
- Peel and cut the garlic into small pieces, which you insert deep into the dough. Likewise, stick in fresh rosemary. You can also decorate the dough with cherry tomatoes, which you also press into the dough.
- Whisk the olive oil with a spoonful of water in a bowl and drizzle over the entire surface of the focaccia. Finally, sprinkle with coarse salt and bake in the preheated oven until golden for 25-35 minutes.
- After baking, enjoy the focaccia with anything you like.
Quick focaccia with olives
Don’t have that much time for lengthy dough rising? Then this recipe is perfect. The ingredients work really well together and the dough will rise just like it does from yeast, but in just an hour.
- 500 g plain flour
- 1 bag of dry yeast
- 400 ml of lukewarm (warm) water
- 1 spoon of salt + coarse salt for sprinkling
- fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- Mix flour with dried yeast in a bowl, add salt and cover with warm water. You will make a smooth and pliable dough from the ingredients. Then let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, which takes about an hour.
- After rising, preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Tip the risen dough onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and use oiled fingers to pull it out to all sides of the sheet, keeping the dough 1-1.5 cm thick.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top and use your fingers to make indentations to push the oil into the dough.
- Finally, stick in the olives, sprinkle with rosemary and coarse salt.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
Discover similar tips
Stuffed Italian olive bread
Also get inspired by the recipe for stuffed focaccia with mozzarella and ham. Perfect for breakfast, a light lunch or a snack.
- 450 g of flour
- 2 teaspoons of dry yeast
- olive oil
- 300 ml of warm water
- 100 g of ham
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- grinded pepper
- 200 g of mozzarella
- First, sift the flour into a bowl and mix with the dry yeast. Make a well in the center and add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and 300 ml of warm water.
- Knead and form into a dough. Add a little more oil if needed. Knead by hand on a floured surface for 10 minutes to make the dough elastic and a little sticky.
- Then place in a greased bowl with olive oil, cover and leave to rise for about 1.5 hours until doubled in size.
- In the meantime, cut up the ham or leave it whole, it’s up to you. Also cut the mozzarella and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Line the bottom of a cake pan with baking paper and brush the paper with olive oil.
- Cut off a third of the dough and set aside. Put the remaining dough in the mold and use your oiled fingers to spread it in all directions and pull out the sides. Leave the edges about 1 cm high.
- Spread the ham in the middle and the mozzarella on top.
- Roll the separated third of the dough into a circle as big as your mold and place it on top of the filling. Fold the sides from the bottom and squeeze so that the cheese does not leak out.
- Finally, brush with olive oil and salt. Bake for about 20-30 minutes.
- And stuffed homemade focaccia is here!
Do you like stuffed pastries? We have 7 more recipes for savory pastries with filling for you!
Fragrant Italian focaccia
Make this Italian olive focaccia bread yourself. A simple and quick recipe that anyone can handle. Can you smell it yet?
- 250 g plain flour
- olive oil (about 20 ml)
- 200 ml warm water
- 10 g of dry yeast
- olives (to taste)
- First, mix the yeast in lukewarm water and mix together with the flour.
- Work the dough properly with your hands, dust with flour, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- After rising, turn on the oven and preheat it to 220 °C.
- Tip the risen dough onto a floured surface and knead with your hands. Use your hands to spread the dough into a sheet approx. 1-2 cm high, according to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary leaves, salt with coarse salt and press everything into the dough.
- Finally, stick the olives into the dough and bake on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and coated with olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.
If you want a sweet bread option, try our banana bread recipes in 6 variations!
Italian focaccia muffins
Finally, we also have a recipe for Italian focaccia dough muffins for you. Get inspired!
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 2.5 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons of fresh thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Ingredients for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- coarse salt
- First, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the flour, yeast, thyme, rosemary, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the water and olive oil and mix for about 1 minute.
- Divide the batter into cups or muffin tins. Let rise uncovered in a warm place for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, stir the oil and herbs for about 1-2 minutes, then let cool.
- After rising, brush the muffins with the herb mixture and oil, sprinkle with salt and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- After baking, let cool and serve.
Get inspired by our great recipes for American muffins ! 10 variants of these wonderful and sweet treats.
Unrivaled Italian pastries and other delicacies can be prepared in the comfort of your home
Most lovers of fresh, fragrant pastries know that Italian pastries have no competition. Whether it’s white or wholemeal bread, with nuts, tomatoes, cheese or olives, every option is absolutely great. In addition to our focaccia, you can also bake other goodies. What are they like?
- nut bread Pan Nociato
- Grissini al papavero sticks
- whole grain sesame crackers
- Pan d’Ordieu bread
- Michetta bread
Are you interested in our focaccia recipes? Also try one of our recipes for homemade savory pastries ! Of course you choose.