Gingerbread cookies are very popular not only as Christmas cookies.
However, it is a shame to leave them without some nice decoration.
In this article, we will show recipes for gingerbread toppings.
In addition, you will also learn how to decorate them beautifully.
White and colored egg white frosting for gingerbread cookies
As the first of the recipes for gingerbread toppings, we will introduce this snow variant, which is the best for decorating this Christmas cookie.
- 1 egg white
- 150-200 g of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- food coloring (if we want color)
- Sift the sugar properly first, ideally 2 times in a row.
- Then add egg white and lemon juice to the sugar.
- Now beat and beat until the frosting is thick enough to hold together when you form a blob.
- It takes a total of 15-20 minutes.
- Portions can be divided and supplemented with different food colors.
- Then we put the icing in a microtene bag and cut a really tiny hole in one of the corners.
- We will decorate the gingerbread according to the instructions or your ideas.
Try the best gingerbread recipes not only for Christmas.
Decorative royal icing for gingerbread cookies
It is actually a classic egg white glaze, but uses a slightly different process.
- 1 and ½ cups of powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- Beat the egg white in a bowl, then add the lemon juice.
- Finally, add the sifted sugar spoon by spoonful and keep beating.
- If the frosting is not stiff, add a little more sugar.
Our tip: You can also use this glaze for ginger cookies .
Sugar glaze and rum for decorating gingerbread
Simple, quick and tasty. So is this great gingerbread rum glaze.
- 125 g of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rum
- 1 teaspoon of hot water
- Boil water, add sifted sugar and rum to it.
- Mix everything until it thickens, and then spread it on the gingerbread.
Discover similar tips
Chocolate icing for gingerbread cookies
We have this option for chocolate lovers. This way, the gingerbread will be beautifully crunchy and at the same time will melt on the tongue.
- 100 g of chocolate with a higher cocoa content
- 40 g of solidified fat (100%)
- Melt the chocolate together with the fat over a water bath.
- We then dip the gingerbreads in the chocolate or rub them.
Lemon glaze for decorating gingerbread cookies
Would you rather appreciate gingerbread with a mild lemon taste? Then you might like this Lemon Gingerbread Frosting recipe.
- 200 g of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Sift the powdered sugar, add hot water to it, mix, then add lemon juice and mix again to a homogeneous mass.
- Then we pour over gingerbread or gingerbread cake.
- You can easily replace the lemon with an orange.
How to decorate gingerbread cookies
If you are going to decorate gingerbread with egg white snow and you don’t know how to make it look really nice, we will help you.
The basis is a suitably cut bag. The less the better here. In addition to a bag prepared at home, you can also buy such a special stabbing bag in the store. Start by trying to draw a line on your hand, for example. We don’t press the bag to the gingerbread, but the icing is rather placed so that a beautiful regular line is created.
To begin with, we recommend strips, or you can try such cuddly droplets, which are absolutely simple.
If you want to get into more complicated decorating, you can pre-draw a pattern on the gingerbread with an edible marker, then it will be easy for you.
To make the result charming, you can also decorate the gingerbread in some places with coarse sugar. They will sparkle. However, you can also use other small edible confectionery decorations.
Here you can see how to easily decorate gingerbread:
You can use the listed recipes for toppings not only for gingerbread cookies, but also for gingerbread cookies from a tin .
For inspiration, we will also present delicious gingerbread with fruit , which you can enjoy not only in the summer.
Let us know in the comments how you got on with decorating. We look forward!