Cypriot cheese, which does not melt when grilled, is becoming more and more popular.
Therefore, we have prepared for you 7 excellent halloumi recipes that you must try!
Would you like a burger, wrap or prefer a healthy salad?
You will find all this and much more in our article.
Wraps with grilled halloumi and chickpeas
These spicy grilled halloumi cheese and crispy chickpea wraps are simply divine! Serve them with a mint-yogurt sauce and suddenly you have a quick vegetarian lunch or dinner on the table.
For the baked chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas (400g), drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the mint-yogurt sauce:
- ½ cup plain natural yogurt
- 6 or 7 chopped mint leaves
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
On the halloumi:
- zest of 1 small lime
- 1 and ½ spoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of dried coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 pack halloumi (250g), drained and rinsed under cold running water, then thinly sliced
- 4 large soft wraps
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 8 sliced cherry tomatoes
- 4 spring onions, white part thinly sliced
- ¼ medium cucumber, sliced
- a handful each of mint and parsley leaves
- lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas.
- Pour the chickpeas onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chickpeas, then toss well.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp cumin and ¼ tsp sea salt over the chickpeas.
- Give the sheet a good shake and make sure all the chickpeas are coated with the spices.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy, turning the chickpeas halfway through cooking.
- Add all the yogurt sauce ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
- Keep the sauce in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Cut the halloumi into thin slices.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon dried coriander, zest of 1 small lime, and ¼ teaspoon dried red chili flakes.
- Heat a pan to medium heat.
- Brush each halloumi slice with olive oil on each side.
- Dip both sides of the halloumi into the spice mixture.
- Place the halloumi in the pan and fry each side until golden, about 3 or 4 minutes per side.
- You will need to do this in two batches.
- Place the wrap on a clean cutting board.
- Add a small handful of baby spinach to the middle of the wrap.
- Add cucumber and tomato slices to the spinach.
- Top with two slices of halloumi.
- Add a dollop of yogurt sauce.
- Add chopped spring onions, a few mint leaves, a few parsley leaves and squeeze a little lime juice over everything.
- Add a spoon or two of roasted chickpeas.
- Fold the bottom of the wrap over the filling and then fold over each side.
- Serve immediately.
Also check out our recipes for simple and tasty stuffed tortillas !
Baked potatoes with tomato sauce and halloumi
Imagine crispy baked potatoes with homemade spicy tomato sauce and halloumi cheese, all baked to absolute perfection. Are you salivating? So let’s get it ready!
- 600-700 g of new potatoes
- olive oil
- 2 x 225g packs of halloumi, sliced
- 200 g of Greek yogurt
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 cm fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 400 g of chopped canned tomatoes
- 4 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- a handful of basil leaves and extra for garnish
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses plus extra for drizzling
- Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of water for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Allow to drain well, then tip into an oven-safe container and mash them gently with the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season well and bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy.
- Heat a pan for the sauce, add extra virgin olive oil and fry the onion, garlic and ginger with a little salt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the chilli flakes and tomatoes, then rinse out the 200ml can of water and add that too.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, dried and fresh herbs and pomegranate molasses, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, but remember that halloumi is salty, so don’t overdo it.
- Once the potatoes are crispy, turn on the grill function in the oven to medium-high heat.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over the potatoes and top with the halloumi.
- Brush with oil, then grill for 5-6 minutes until the halloumi is golden.
- Top with yoghurt, spring onion (if using), basil and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
A simple smoky halloumi burger that will make you forget the classic hamburger! A luxurious vegetarian delicacy that you simply have to try!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed
- 200 g halloumi grilled cheese, cut into thick slices
- 2 burger buns, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons of hummus
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce, roughly torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a pan or grill until hot.
- Brush the mushrooms with half of the oil and salt well.
- Place on a griddle or grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, brush the halloumi slices and the cut side of the brioche with the remaining oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Mix chopped onion, tomato, cucumber and mint with lime juice and salt well.
- To assemble the burgers, place the mushroom on the bottom half of the brioche and spread the hummus.
- Top with sliced tomato, lettuce and halloumi.
- Pour over the onion, tomato, lime mixture, cover with the top half of the brioche and serve immediately.
Baked halloumi cheese with honey and chili
Honey and cheese is a dream combination, especially when the halloumi is baked in the oven until crispy. Enjoy it with a simple salad and toasted pancakes.
- 2 x 250g halloumi blocks, drained and dried
- ½ lemon, cut the peel into strips and squeeze the juice
- 6 thyme sprigs (leaves only)
- 1-2 red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 spoons of honey
- 25g fresh mint leaves, torn if large
- Preheat the oven to 190 ºC.
- Cut each halloumi in 1cm intervals from the middle down.
- Place both blocks in a baking dish and cover with lemon zest, thyme leaves and chilli.
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey, then season with plenty of black pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling, basting the cheese with honey juice 2-3 times during baking.
- Before serving, drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with mint leaves.
If you can’t get enough of burgers, we have the best recipes for homemade grilled hamburgers for you!
Discover similar tips
Quinoa and bulgur salad with halloumi cheese
An excellent nutritious salad of cereals, fresh and grilled vegetables, grilled halloumi cheese and a tasty lemon dressing. It is perfect as a healthy dinner or light lunch.
- 100 g of bulgur
- 100 g of quinoa
- juice of 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch (6 pieces) spring onions, finely chopped
- a pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 20 g parsley, finely chopped
- 15 g fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 200g halloumi, cut into 8 slices, each 1.5cm thick
- 2 zucchini, cut into pieces
- Place the bulgur wheat and a little salt in a large bowl, pour in 125ml of boiling water and leave to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Cook the quinoa for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and add to the bowl with the bulgur.
- Mix the lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Add a little salt, pepper and a big pinch of sugar, mix and pour over the bulgur with quinoa.
- Add the scallions, tomatoes, parsley and mint.
- Mix again.
- Heat a grill or pan until very hot.
- Brush the halloumi and zucchini with the remaining oil.
- Season and grill or saute for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan or grill and mix with salad.
- Enjoy it!
Pita bread with grilled halloumi
Prepare a pita filled with grilled marinated cheese and fresh vegetables that will satisfy all palates!
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 spoon of honey
- 340 g of halloumi cheese, cut lengthwise into 1.3 cm thick slices
- ½ cup hummus
- 4 large pita breads, warmed
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease the grate well.
- Mix vegetable stock, lemon juice, oil, and honey in a bowl; mix gently with the halloumi slices.
- Grill the halloumi for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Spread the hummus along the center of each pita, leaving a border at the top and bottom.
- Top with halloumi, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and red onion.
- Fold the bottom of the bread over the filling, then fold in the sides and roll up tightly.
- Enjoy your meal!
Try this delicious vegetarian version of Stroganoff that even die-hard carnivores will enjoy! Serve with fresh iceberg lettuce and rice.
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 300 g of grilled halloumi cheese
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1.5 spoons of mustard
- 400 g of chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml of water
- 100 ml crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle peppers
- 2.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Fry the halloumi strips in oil in a hot pan.
- Set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and press through the clove of garlic.
- Fry the onion and garlic in oil until golden.
- Add all ingredients except halloumi and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the halloumi strips and serve with rice and a fresh salad.
Take a look at our various variants of Beef Stroganoff recipes . Discover the most delicious with us!
How to prevent halloumi from becoming rubbery
Halloumi doesn’t always turn out well if you don’t know how to prepare it properly. There are a few things you can do to avoid this:
- Slice your halloumi a bit thicker – very thin slices tend to be tougher.
- Do not overcook the halloumi – just a few minutes on each side ! The goal is to make it soft but not completely crispy.
- Eat the halloumi within about 5 minutes of cooking – if you let it cool, it will be a bit rubbery.
And which recipe was your TOP? Write to us in the comments!