How about having a kebab?
And how about preparing it right at home?
Yes, you too can prepare this delicacy in your kitchen, and the only difference between the one you buy will be that it will be cooked with love and with the best ingredients.
Let’s introduce the best homemade kebab recipes.
Homemade döner kebab in a tortilla
Boneless chicken thighs are best for this recipe. You can use lamb or beef instead of chicken. You can fill a tortilla with the finished meat as in this recipe, or simply fill your plate with it and nibble on the pastry.
Ingredients for meat
- 1 kg boneless thigh steaks
- Olive oil
- A cup of white yogurt
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (or spicy)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or quality lemons)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut the meat into cubes and add to the prepared marinade, mix well
- Cover with foil and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, ideally 24 hours. If you only leave for 3 hours, add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Choose a pan of such a size that the skewers remain supported on the sides of the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and divide the chicken pieces into 2 piles.
- Take a piece of chicken and then thread it onto a skewer. Repeat, pressing the chicken tightly together. Repeat with the next skewer.
- Support 2 skewers on the edges of the baking dish. Drizzle the surface with oil.
- Bake the skewers for 35 minutes or until the surface is golden brown with some charred bits.
- Drizzle with a spoonful of chicken stock. Then turn the skewers over, drizzle with oil and bake for another 25 minutes.
- After baking, pour the juice again and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the finished skewers vertically or at an angle and cut the meat into thin slices.
- Fill the tortilla with a sufficient amount of meat, or add vegetables to taste, wrap and serve.
Homemade pork barbecue kebab
In the countries of the Middle East, this meat is not prepared for religious reasons. But you can prepare a kebab with this meat and please your diners. Serve the kebab with pita bread, in a tortilla or just with pastry.
- 500g pork leg (or any pork)
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 diced onion
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine sugar, soy sauce, onion, garlic and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Dice the pork, add to the bowl and mix.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or, in the case of the grill function, to 180°C.
- Thread the pork onto the skewers and bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and slightly charred. (10-13 minutes each side).
- Cut the finished meat vertically from the skewer into thin slices.
- Fill any bread, such as tortilla or pita bread, and serve with any dressing and vegetables.
TIP: Skewer lovers beware! Take a look and prepare the best skewer, either with meat or perhaps with fruit.
Discover similar tips
Homemade chicken kebab
The most popular meat used for this dish is chicken. Try it at home and everyone will be drooling.
- 1 kg boneless chicken breast or thigh steaks
- 150 g of natural white yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp dried chili (more according to preference)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the marinade ingredients well.
- Dice the chicken and add to the marinade.
- Mix everything properly, wrap the bowl in foil and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Thread the marinated meat onto skewers or skewers and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- During baking, you can pour juice 1-2 times to loosen the meat. This will make the meat juicier.
- After cooking, cut the meat from the skewers vertically into slices.
- Fill a tortilla or pita bread with the finished meat, add dressing, vegetables and serve.
Lamb kebab in homemade pita bread
Prepare a slightly different kebab with lamb. We’ll also show you how to bake your own pita bread, which will go great with this meat.
- 600g of lamb
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of ground cumin
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 clove
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 bunch of radishes
- 10 slices of salad cucumber
- Spring onion
- Lemon juice
- 250 ml of white yogurt
- A pinch of garam masala
Ingredients for pita bread
- 200g plain flour
- 200g of wholemeal flour
- 5g of dry yeast
- 0.5 spoons of salt
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 300ml of warm water
- A pinch of sugar
- Vegetable oil
- First, save for the bread.
- Mix flour, yeast, salt, a pinch of sugar. Then add olive oil with warm water and make a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for at least 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball, brush it with olive oil and let it rise in a bowl for at least 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the meat, place in a bowl and mix with cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, garlic and 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave to marinate while you prepare the salad vegetables.
- Mix chopped radishes, cucumber, spring onion and salad with lemon juice.
- Thread the marinated meat onto a skewer and bake in the baking dish for at least 20 minutes. (When baking, pour the juice that the meat will release)
- After the bread dough has risen, grease the baking sheet with oil. Tip the dough onto a roll, divide it into 6 pieces and shape them into balls.
- Roll each ball into a 6 mm thick pancake and bake for 7-10 minutes. As a rule, the pancakes will swell and take on a golden color.
- On the finished pita bread, cut the meat from the skewers, put the salad, pour a little yogurt and sprinkle garam masala.
Homemade kebab machines
There are all sorts of conveniences on the electronics market today. You don’t even have to own a bistro or a kebab restaurant. Just buy an electric grill to grill meat from the comfort of your home. Thanks to this device, you will be able to enjoy grilled meat of all kinds all year round.
Get inspired by how to properly grill , which marinade to use, which side dishes or sauces are the best.
For inspiration when choosing the ideal grill for you, follow the reviews of the best electric shashlibnit s. They will certainly excite you and you will indulge in grilled food to your heart’s content.
And how did the kebab actually come about?
The history of the kebab dates back to Turkey, where the first mentions of this dish come from. Originally, the kebab was prepared by grilling the meat on a horizontal grill, later the meat was layered on a spit.
Later, after 25 years, the name kebab was created, this time in the city of Bursa, where a certain butcher processed lamb meat into minced meat and then layered it between slices of meat. After grilling it, he served it with yogurt and buttermilk on flatbreads. It was in Bursa that the name döner kebab originated.