Sulc is actually a congealed broth with meat, so we could simply describe this dish.
Due to the temperature in the mouth, the meat jelly literally melts on the tongue and your taste buds will only taste the delicate taste of the strong meat broth, vegetables, herbs and meat!
Don’t think any more and try all these luxurious gooseberry recipes! And be careful, we also thought of the smallest diners. You can prepare delicious sweet jelly with fruit for them, see how they enjoy it!
So what recipe do you start with?
Pork knuckle stew
This dish is very popular, even though it takes more than a day to prepare! It is a dish full of meat congealed in jelly. If you want to make real pork sulc, then it should be based on fatty pork broth without the use of gelatin. Fill the bottom of the bowl with chopped pork, vegetables and cover with broth. After 24 hours in the fridge, your meat aspic is ready to serve!
What will we need
- Medium pork knuckle
- 1 kg of pork bones
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10 peppercorns
- 10 allspice balls
- Horseradish, mustard or vinegar (to serve)
- A bag of gelatin
- Pork Knee and Bones Place the trotters and bones in a large pot
- Cover with water and bring to a boil
- Cook for a few minutes
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour out the water
- Add carrots, peeled onion, bay leaves, garlic and pepper balls to the pot with the meat
- Cover with water and bring to a boil again
- We reduce the temperature and cook for 3 hours
- The liquid will significantly decrease in volume and begin to thicken
- Drain, but keep the broth aside
- Season the broth well (gooseberry needs a slightly salty taste) and add gelatin
- Remove all the meat from the bones and cut into pieces
- Divide the meat into small bowls
- We can place boiled carrots and green peas on the bottom of the bowls
- Pour the reserved broth over the vegetables
- Place the bowls in the refrigerator and let them sit and harden overnight
- This recipe for huspenin is served with horseradish, mustard or vinegar
Homemade aspic is usually served for some festive occasion, such as various celebrations or holidays. Get more inspiration on what to serve to guests on these occasions. Try, for example, delicious puff pastry rolls , or great sandwiches , or a variety of spreads that will definitely not offend you.
Homemade chicken stew
Aspik is a salty meat jelly that is made from broth that thickens as it cools. With this recipe for homemade sulc, we prepare a strong homemade broth, which we then consume.
What will we need
- 1 liter of water
- 450 g of chicken thighs
- Large yellow onion (peeled whole)
- 2 large carrots (peeled whole)
- 2 spoons of gelatin
- Teaspoon of salt
- A teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Add chicken, carrots, onions and salt to a pot of water
- Bring everything together to a boil
- Then reduce the temperature to very low and let it cook for another 4 hours
- Remove the carrot and onion
- Carrots can be used for decoration and onions can be thrown away
- Take the chicken out of the pot
- Clean the chicken from the bones (if needed) and cut into small pieces
- Add room temperature water to 60 ml and dissolve the gelatin in the water
- As soon as it dissolves, we add it to the broth
- Put the chicken, carrots and sprinkle with parsley and dill in the aspic container
- Pour the broth over the chicken and herbs
- Let it harden in the fridge, this process can take about 6 hours
Discover similar tips
Vegetables in aspic
Huspenina is a popular food especially in Eastern Europe. However, not only meat or fish sauce is prepared, but also vegetable sauce. This vegetable porridge is light and delicious, it is also suitable as a side dish for the main meal or you can simply cook it when you want to have a healthy snack.
What will we need
- 300 g of cauliflower
- Medium zucchini
- 3 peppers (different colors)
- 3 tomatoes
- 500 g of mushrooms
- Bunch of basil
- 30 g of gelatin
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- Wash the vegetables
- Peel the carrot and cut it into rounds
- Divide the cauliflower into florets, and if the florets are too large, cut them into smaller pieces
- Peel the zucchini and cut it into rounds
- Cut each pepper into three parts and then cut these pieces into slices
- We take the tomatoes and cut out the stems
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes
- Peel the onion
- Wash and chop the basil
- Bring 1 liter of broth to a boil
- Put the whole onion in the pan
- Add salt and fry the onion for 3 minutes
- Next, add carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers and zucchini
- Boil the ingredients for 10 minutes
- Turn off the stove and remove the onion
- Pour the hot vegetable broth into a separate bowl and dissolve the gelatin there
- Let the broth cool a little
- We put the vegetables in an aspic mold
- Add raw tomatoes
- Sprinkle everything with chopped basil and cover with warm broth
- Put the vegetable aspic in the fridge for 2 hours
- Salt the vegetables, then cut into portions and serve
Fruit in jelly
I include this recipe for homemade gooseberry more for the smallest diners. It’s a great way to get vitamins into children through fun food. You’ll see how much fun you can have at the table with this shaking sweetie.
What will we need
- 2 x 85 g strawberry jelly
- 125 g of chopped peaches
- 125 g strawberries (sliced)
- 100 g of blueberries
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Prepare one package of jelly according to the instructions on the package
- Let it cool down
- Meanwhile, lightly grease the mold with vegetable oil
- Pour the cooled jelly into the mold and spread the fruit evenly over the jelly
- We put it in the fridge for 2 hours so that it hardens completely
- Mix the second package of jelly with 250 ml of boiling water
- Stir to dissolve, then refrigerate until chilled and set
- Beat the cream with a mixer so that it is slightly thick
- Add the cooled jelly in the glass and start whisking again until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a mold for fruit in aspic
- Return to the refrigerator for another 2 hours so that the cream layer hardens completely
- Take the jelly out of the fridge and carefully release the dessert from the mold along the edges with a sharp knife
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until we are ready to serve the fruit mousse
What is gooseberry?
At this point you are probably wondering what aspic tastes like and how to eat it.
Aspic is simply a combination of meat, onion, garlic and fresh herbs in gelatin from bone broth and spices. It is prepared by heat treatment and consumed cold. This meat jelly melts in your mouth with the heat and releases a wonderful broth.
Yes, it may sound strange, but this dish has been prepared and eaten for CENTURIES, and for good reason.
In Eastern Europe this dish is called “kholodets”. This dish traditionally takes a very, very long time to prepare.
During the day, bones with a lot of cartilage – like pig and cow legs, pig knees or chicken legs – are cooked together with carrots, herbs, onions, etc. This process has released all the collagen and marrow from the bones, creating natural gelatin.
Today, this process is often skipped and a faster option is chosen, which is the use of gelatin to speed up the preparation process.
Once upon a time, aspic was eaten because it was delicious and a great way to use collagen-rich bones. It is traditionally served with warm mashed potatoes.
Huspenina is a great source of protein and other nutrients while being low in carbohydrates.
Tips for making gooseberry
Meat to use : As mentioned above, the best meat for aspic is pork – especially the leg because of all that natural gelatin. But since many may not like the idea of eating pig’s feet, bone-in chicken and gelatin packets are used.
Vegetables to use : As with any broth, we use all the usual types of vegetables. Celery, carrots and onions make the perfect aspic.
Herbs : You can use any fresh herbs you like. I love fresh dill and parsley.
Next : Sometimes I throw a few bay leaves into the broth (remember to remove them before letting the gelatin set).
Can you freeze gooseberry?
I really wouldn’t recommend freezing gooseberries.
The texture and flavor just wouldn’t be the same after thawing. This food is best eaten fresh. However, if you have leftovers, they will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.