Defoamers are substances that reduce surface tension and prevent the formation of foam or reduce foaming during food processing.
A foam is a physical system formed by gas bubbles dispersed in a liquid. In the food processing process, such as fermentation, mixing, cooking, thickening, etc., a large number of bubbles can be formed, which affect normal operation and must be removed in time or prevented from forming. The formation of foam can be reduced by changing the production process or using chemical defoamers. .
Commonly used defoamers are some alcohols (cetostearyl alcohol), insoluble oils (castor oil), stearans, polydimethylsiloxanes and other silicone derivatives, ether and glycols.
What defoamers can we encounter in the food industry?
What is E572 - Magnesium stearate?Category: Anti-caking agents, Defoamers, Emulsifiers, Stabilizers, Thickeners
What is E570 - Fatty acids?Category: Defoamers, Humectants, Polishing agents, Stabilizers
Why are defoamers used in the food industry?
In the food and beverage industry, foaming can have a number of negative effects on operations . For example, it can:
- cause product defects or quality problems
- slow down or stop the processing time
- prevent proper filling of containers
- cause equipment failure
- create dangerous working conditions
By using food-grade defoamers to prevent and/or destroy foam, facility owners and managers can keep foam formation under control. As a result, they can benefit in the following ways:
- Better product and process quality. The absence of foam means products are at lower risk of damage or contamination, resulting in higher product acceptability. In addition, the device is less likely to experience foam problems such as overflow or malfunction.
- Less waste generation. As fewer products are discarded, less waste is generated.
- Lower production costs. Increasing product quality and facility operation and reducing waste production can translate into lower overall production costs.
In which foods can we find defoamers?
- soy foods
- dairy products
- processed foods
- ice cream
- potato chips
Defoamers are also used in the fast food industry for fried chicken, chicken nuggets and French fries. Try our recipes for sweet potato fries . Their sweetness balanced by delicious spices and great dips will bring you to your knees!.
Are defoamers in food safe for us?
Most defoamers that are used in food are considered safe when consumed within permissible limits. The regulation of the use of these substances in the food industry is very strict in order to minimize potential health risks.
However, some antifoams can cause side effects such as allergic reactions or digestive problems in sensitive individuals.