Making your own sweet pastries from sourdough doesn’t have to be just for tall girls.
You can use yeast to prepare not only excellent homemade buns and doughnuts, but also brownies or perhaps cinnamon snails and many other goodies.
They are the most delicious delicacies that no one despises and they taste best with coffee or as an afternoon snack.
Try our recipes for sweet pastries from yeast dough and show us off in the comments with photos of your baked creation.
Homemade yeast doughnuts
Light and sweet donuts either American style, with a hole in the middle, or filled with jam or chocolate. Which one do you fancy? Try the recipe for homemade donuts.
- 225 ml whole milk, warm
- 50 g of sugar
- one package of yeast
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 g butter, melted
- 400 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- frying oil
- sugar with cinnamon for coating
- jam, nutella, whipped cream according to your taste
- To make the dough, heat the milk until it is pleasantly warm.
- Pour the milk into a bowl, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add the yeast and mix again, let it rest for about 10 minutes until the yeast starts to work.
- In another large bowl, put two beaten eggs, melted butter and mix to combine.
- Add the processed yeast.
- Add the flour and salt and mix well until the ingredients are combined. Mix for another 5-8 minutes so that the dough can be worked well afterwards.
- Then let the dough rest for a while and prepare an oiled bowl.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, sprinkle with a little flour, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for approximately 90 minutes until doubled in size.
- After the time is up, remove the dough from the bowl to a floured work surface and roll out to 1/2 to 1/3 inch thick and cut out donuts.
- Place the sliced donuts on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover them all with a tea towel and let them rise for about 1 hour.
- Pour oil into a pot or cast-iron pan and heat it over medium heat.
- Be careful not to burn yourself, place the donuts in the hot oil and fry them until golden brown on each side.
- Then, using spoons or forks, remove the donuts from the oil and place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to remove excess oil and grease. Let them cool slightly.
- Finally, roll them in sugar mixed with cinnamon and fill with jam or Nutella.
Would you like a refreshing cocktail instead of an afternoon coffee? No problem! Get inspired by the best milkshake recipes .
Sweet rolls filled with Nutella
These rolls are a childhood dream come true. However, even adults will not disdain. Sweet pastries in the style of stuffed rolls will be an excellent breakfast choice!
- 250 ml milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 50 g of sugar
- 60 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 475 g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- Pour warm milk into a bowl, add yeast, a teaspoon of sugar and mix well. Let the yeast sit for about 10 minutes until it starts to work.
- Mix the melted butter with the sugar until combined.
- Then add the eggs and continue mixing.
- Add yeast, remaining milk, salt and continue to mix until everything is well mixed.
- Gradually start adding the flour and keep mixing well. The dough is ready when it does not stick to your hands.
- Cover the resulting dough in a bowl with a kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm place for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- On a floured surface, cut the dough into 3 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Always keep the stored pieces covered with a kitchen towel.
- Roll the ball into a 1/2 to 1/3 inch thick rectangle and cut into 3-4 equal sized triangular pieces. Repeat this for the remaining pieces.
- Spread nutella on the surface of each triangle. Repeat this for all other pieces.
- Then roll up each greased piece of dough and shape it into a crescent. Repeat this for all other pieces.
- Transfer the rolls to a baking sheet lined with baking paper and brush them with beaten egg to make them shiny.
- Place the trays with the rolls in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Do you have uneaten bananas at home and do you like to bake? Then these banana bread recipes are just for you. Take a look and try!
Discover similar tips
Sweet cinnamon snails from sourdough
Cinnamon will make your kitchen smell beautiful even in the afternoon and is guaranteed to improve your mood. It tastes best with coffee and in quiet company. Try this sweet pastry and its flavors!
- 480 ml whole milk, warm
- 100 g of sugar
- 30 g butter, melted
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 625 g plain flour, separated
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 165 g of brown sugar
- 180 g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine warm milk, sugar, melted butter and mix.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the milk mixture, stir and let sit in a warm place for about 10 minutes until the yeast starts working.
- Put 500g of flour in a large bowl, add the yeast mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined.
- Then cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for at least 1 hour, until the dough doubles in size.
- Prepare baking trays and grease them with butter. Set them aside.
- For the filling, mix brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl. Mix the mixture well and then keep it aside.
- Add the remaining flour, baking powder, salt to the risen dough and mix everything well.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface, keeping a little flour nearby as needed.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes, adding flour as needed, just until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Then roll the dough into a rectangle about 1 cm thick.
- Using a spatula, spread the cinnamon mixture evenly over the dough.
- Then carefully roll the dough and cut it into sticks about 6 cm thick. Then place them in greased baking trays.
- Cover the baking sheets with unbaked cinnamon snails again with a tea towel and let them rest for another 35 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- After the second rising round, remove the paper towels from the baking pans, brush the snails with melted butter and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Then take them out of the oven and let them cool.
Everyone likes dandelions. How about dandelion syrup or tea? Take a look at the bright dandelion recipes !
Homemade sourdough buns with filling
Honzo went into the world, carrying a bundle and in it were baked buns from his mother. Buns filled with cottage cheese and jam. And here it will be up to you, what you fill your buns with. Go for it!
- 150 ml whole milk, warm
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 spoons of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 80 g of melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 325 g plain flour
- apricot jam, jam, cottage cheese (filling to taste)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk and set aside for 10 minutes to dissolve and activate the yeast.
- Using a hand whisk, mix in sugar, eggs, melted (slightly cooled) butter, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in about 200g of flour to make a thick dough.
- Then, using a wooden spoon instead of a whisk, gradually stir the rest of the flour into the dough.
- Knead the dough with your hands for another 5 minutes. It can be sticky, in that case, grease your hands with a drop of oil and work the dough without adding more flour.
- Then you let the dough rise, covered with a kitchen towel, at warm room temperature until it doubles in size. Approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 12 equal pieces. Keep pieces you are not working on covered.
- Fold the edges of each piece into the center a few times to make a nice ball with a smooth bottom. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand into a circle about 3 to 3 ½ inches in diameter, keeping the center slightly thicker than the edges.
- Put 1 teaspoon of the filling (jam, jam, cottage cheese) in the center of each circle and then wrap the dough around the filling to seal the filling and create a ball again.
- Place each bun thus formed with a sealed tent on a lightly floured surface until you have them all done.
- Let the butter melt and then use it to grease the baking tray, where you will then transfer the created buns.
- Cover the buns with a tea towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes, then brush them with melted butter.
- Bake them at 180°C in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Then take them out of the oven, let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes and finally serve them dusted with powdered sugar. Enjoy your meal!
If you’re craving something salty, take a look at savory puff pastry recipes . You will definitely like one of them.
Baking in a gluten-free diet
If someone has a gluten-free diet, this means an absolute ban on the consumption of cereals that contain gluten. Wheat, barley, rye, oats and all foods that contain these named grains.
Fortunately, people on this diet can bake and cook anything with the help of specially prepared foods, such as flour mixes, pastries, pasta and cookies, and many others.
And we have prepared a recipe for gluten-free baked donuts for such of them below.
Gluten-free baked doughnuts
These homemade gluten-free donuts, studded with apples and walnuts, topped with a cinnamon-sugar blend, are the perfect sweet pastry for coffee. Try it out!
- 400 g gluten-free flour
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 60 g butter, melted
- 50 ml of apple snack
- 150 g of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml of milk
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- cinnamon sugar for coating
- Mix the flour, yeast, baking powder, salt and ginger in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, apple cider and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined.
- Mix the apple pieces and walnuts into the dough, mix everything thoroughly.
- Cover the resulting dough with foil and let it rest for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. You can do it, gluten-free dough needs more time.
- Then shape the donuts and place them on a baking sheet greased with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for approximately 10 minutes or until the donuts are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let rest and finally roll in cinnamon sugar.
We have presented you with several tried-and-tested recipes for sweet sourdough bread.
There are many similar recipes for yeast bread and they can be prepared very easily in the home bakery. It’s almost worry-free.
Have you ever considered buying a home bakery? Take a look at what you need to know before choosing home bakeries .