Recipes for liver are one of the most popular in Czech cuisine.
Prepare tasty and healthy meals that you can cook, fry and bake.
Treat yourself to great taste and lots of nutrients in one!
Fried pork liver on onion and bacon
This recipe is a classic that will never go out of style.
Get inspired and enjoy!
- 300 g of pork liver
- 500 g of onion
- 400-300 g English bacon
- crushed cumin
- chopped garlic
- green herbs
- Cut the pork liver, bacon and onion into thin slices.
- Put the English bacon on a hot pan (if it’s lean, add a spoonful of oil) and let it cook until golden.
- Set aside a few slices of bacon. You will need them for decoration.
- Add the liver to the bacon, fry it as well and add the onion to it.
- Mix everything and saute until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can also add marjoram, fresh herbs, crushed cumin or garlic.
- Serve with bacon slices, mashed potatoes or fresh bread.
- If you don’t feel like pork, you can prepare fried chicken liver, which is prepared similarly and tastes delicious.
A pan with a non-stick surface is ideal for convenient liver preparation. Explore reviews of Tefal pans and choose the right one.
Liver dumplings for soup
Prepare dumplings like grandma’s.
Whether you want to prepare a classic lunch or you are planning a celebration, you can never go wrong with dumpling broth.
- 100 g of pork liver
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the finely chopped onion.
- Mix the liver, salt and pepper.
- Add grated garlic, a spoonful of breadcrumbs and plain flour, marjoram and a beaten egg.
- Finally, add the fried onion and mix.
- Place the shaped dumplings in salted boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the dumplings float to the top, remove them and place them in a bowl.
- Add to the finished broth.
- Your soup with liver dumplings is ready.
If you cook soups more often, you can prepare liver preserves , which can be kept in the freezer. You will always have it at hand.
Creamy liver sauce with rice
Do you like pasta?
This sauce goes well with pasta. Try it out!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 500 g of chicken liver
- ½ red onion
- 8 sage leaves
- 5 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 30 g of butter
- 250 g of full-fat cream
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat. Pour oil on it and add chicken liver.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and sear on all sides.
- After about 1 minute, remove the giblets and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter, onion and sage.
- Once the onion starts to turn translucent, add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the white wine.
- Add cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce turns brown.
- Add the reserved liver mixture to the sauce and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- While the dish is cooking, cook the pasta. 6-8 minutes will do (depending on the type of pasta).
- Once the liver sauce with cream is ready, garnish the whole dish with fresh parsley and drizzle everything with a little olive oil. Serve immediately.
Homemade liver pate
Once you have prepared this recipe, you will never want to enjoy any store-bought product of this kind.
Serve the finished dish with fresh bread or crackers.
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup minced shallots
- 500 g of chicken liver
- 1 clove of garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup cream
- Clean the liver and melt the butter in a pan.
- Sauté the shallots in the butter for about 1 minute and add the liver.
- Salt them and fry on all sides until they turn brown.
- Add capers, thyme, garlic, anchovy paste and sauté for another minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the brandy. Be careful at this point as the alcohol could ignite once you return the pan to the heat.
- Reheat the pan and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. The mixture should caramelize slightly.
- Then set aside and let cool.
- Transfer the prepared liver mixture to a food processor and add butter and cream. Mix everything and put it in the fridge to cool. Everything should solidify.
- Homemade chicken liver pate will last about a week in the fridge. It tastes great if you add cranberries to it.
Do you like homemade food? Then get inspired by our guide to canning cranberries and enjoy them all year round.
Excellent chicken liver on onions with mustard
If you like the taste of mustard, this recipe is made for you.
Choose the mustard according to your taste and enjoy.
- 600 g of chicken liver
- 2 onions
- 5 baby cucumbers
- ½ bunch of chives
- 20 g of butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 450 g of chicken liver
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ground paprika
- 450 ml of chicken stock
- 30 g of clarified butter
- 100 g of flour
- Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Drain the cucumbers and cut into thin slices.
- Rinse the chives and cut them into small rings.
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onion until golden.
- Pour the sherry vinegar over the onions and stir in the mustard. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a little cold water and stir into the sauce.
- Add the cucumbers and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the liver into small pieces and melt the butter in another pan.
- While the butter is melting, coat the liver pieces in flour and fry them.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over the sauce from the first pan.
- When serving, sprinkle with chives and serve with your favorite bread or rice.
Great tasting rice, professionally prepared. Therefore, explore reviews of rice cookers that will make your work in the kitchen easier.
Chicken liver on cream
Enjoy this delicious recipe with the smoothest cream sauce.
You will have the recipe ready in less than an hour!
- 500 g of cleaned chicken liver
- barbecue spices
- 200 ml of cream
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (pressed)
- 30 ml of butter
- fresh parsley
- pastries to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion in it.
- Add the poultry liver and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and cream. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve the finished liver with a cream sauce garnished with parsley and a crispy toasted piece of pastry of your choice.
Do you want to make your own pastry? Get inspired by our recipes for homemade pastries that “just get dusty”.
Goose liver foie gras
The recipe is part of the cultural and gastronomic heritage of France.
Prepare this specialty and impress your guests!
- 500 g goose liver (as an alternative, duck liver foie gras can also be prepared)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 spoons of sweet white wine according to your taste
- Dissolve the salt in the wine, then stir in the pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the goose liver and leave it in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C and place a container filled with water in it.
- Wrap the marinated pieces of foie gras in a pâté dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the mold in a container with water that is already in the oven and bake for 50 minutes at a temperature of 120 °C.
- Leave the finished pâté to cool, remove excess fat from it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.
- A dish prepared in this way will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator if you seal it in an airtight container.
Are you craving more goose goodies? Get inspired by our 6 goose recipes .
Discover similar tips
Spicy pork liver on the grill
Are you celebrating with family or friends?
We have a tip for a great recipe that will absolutely amaze your guests.
You can prepare the recipe both outside on the fire and at home on a grill pan.
- 500 g pork liver (cut into about 2 cm pieces)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic (pressed)
- ½ tablespoon of cooking oil
- Mix the liver, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl. Marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and grill the meat for 2 minutes on all sides.
- You can also prepare the offal outside on the fire. In that case, we recommend cooking the meat over very low heat.
- Serve with onions, favorite herbs, cranberries and pastries.
- If you do not have the option of an open fire or a grill pan, you can prepare the food on an electric grill.
Do you still not have a home electric grill? Our reviews of electric grills will help you choose it.
Turkey liver on onions with apples
You can use this recipe as a classic main dish on a weekday, but you won’t offend guests with it at a more festive event either.
Onions and apples:
- 250 g of onion
- 250 g of crisp apples
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 150 ml of turkey or chicken stock
- 60 ml of red wine
- 75 ml of full-fat cream
- sea salt
- some chopped parsley
- 450 g turkey liver (two large pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- coarse sea salt
- Before you start preparing everything else, boil the mashed potatoes and prepare them according to your favorite recipe.
Onions and apples:
- Cut the onion into quarters and then into thin slices.
- Cut the apples into quarters as well.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and apples in it for about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, red wine, cream, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook, over low heat, for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Then remove the lid, increase the heat to medium and cook for another 2 minutes. The liquid will boil off slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the prepared mashed potatoes with the turkey liver and sprinkle everything with fresh parsley.
Cod liver spread
Are you a spread lover? And what’s more, those that benefit human health?
Cod liver contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins D and A. So this light and fluffy spread is not only delicious, but also really healthy.
- 1 can of smoked sprats in olive oil
- 1 tin of cod liver in its own oil
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of dry white wine
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- dried oregano
- black pepper
- chives (for garnish)
- fresh chopped vegetables, whole grain bread, cheese (to serve, optional)
- In a small pan, fry the shallots with the garlic and a spoonful of olive oil from the sprats. It will take less than 10 minutes.
- Mix dry oysters, cod liver with oil, shallot, wine, lemon zest and oregano in a food processor.
- Place the prepared pâté in a baking dish and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge and leave overnight to set.
- When you want to serve the pâté, garnish it with chives and black pepper.
Do you prefer healthy spreads? Then try other great recipes for red lentil spreads .
Recipe for stewed liver with onions
Try this traditional slow-cooking method that preserves the juiciness of the dish.
- 500 g lamb liver (you can also use pork liver)
- 250 g bacon (chopped)
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 70 g mushrooms (cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- ½ cup flour
- 0.5 l beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of herbs of your choice (eg thyme, oregano)
- Wash the liver and cut it into pieces.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to a large bowl.
- Add the liver and mix. Make sure each piece of liver is coated in flour.
- After coating, take 3 spoons of flour, put it in a cup, add some cold water and make a paste. You will use this mixture to thicken the sauce later.
- Cut the bacon with the onion and press the garlic.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat and set aside.
- Leave the fat that has cooked from the bacon in the pan and add the liver slices.
- Carefully turn the livers until they are browned on all sides. Then take them out and put them on a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the pan. You may need to add a drizzle of olive oil as well.
- Cook gently until the onion is soft. If you want to use herbs, add them to the pan at this point.
- Add the bacon and liver back to the pan and mix together with the onions and mushrooms.
- Add tomato puree and beef stock.
- Then pour in a cup of water with the flour that you set aside at the beginning.
- Mix everything until the ingredients are combined.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 2 hours until the liver is tender.
- Then transfer everything to a baking tray and bake for 2.5 hours at 150°C. Baking speeds up the preparation process.
- If you really just want to braise the dish, it will take 5-6 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables.
Do you like steamed dishes? Try 6 recipes with stewed carrots .
Beef liver on bacon
Enjoy bacon with liver and also with luxurious caramelized onions.
The recipe is not complicated and even a beginner can handle it.
- ½ cup of milk
- 500 g beef liver (cut into strips)
- 3 large onions (sliced)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- Pour the milk into a bowl and place the liver in it. Soak them for 20 minutes to remove their bitterness.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a pan and cut each piece in half. Set aside.
- Mix 1.5 tablespoons of bacon fat with 2 tablespoons of butter and add the onion. Fry, stirring occasionally, over low heat until the onion caramelizes. It will take about 25 minutes.
- Then put the onion in a bowl, sprinkle it with salt and set it aside.
- Dry the liver with a paper towel.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and increase the heat to high. Add the dried liver and sauté for 3 minutes on each side.
- The inside of the meat should still be pink.
- Serve the pieces of liver topped with onions and covered with bacon.
Goulash lovers are in for a treat!
Cook something original that you don’t often find in Czech kitchens.
- 1 kg of chopped boiled liver
- 2 bunches spinach (coarsely chopped)
- ½ kg corn flour
- 5 tomatoes (cut into pieces)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- vegetable oil
- 0.5 l beef broth
- Place half of the onion in the cooked liver and add 4 tablespoons of oil. Stir and cook over medium heat.
- Add half the tomatoes and cover with a lid. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then crush the tomatoes and add the broth.
- Season with salt and cover with the lid again. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Then put the rest of the onion into the liver mixture and add the rest of the oil. Stir and add the rest of the tomatoes.
- Add the spinach with a little water and salt. Bring to a boil again and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve pork liver stew with bread or fresh vegetables.
Why eat liver?
This type of meat has a strong flavor and a unique texture. Some love them and others hate them.
You can meet liver of many species – beef, chicken, pork, lamb, goose, duck.
What is so special about them, apart from the taste?
Offal contains 153 calories, 23g protein, 4g fat, 4g carbs, less than 1g fiber and less than 1g sugar. They also contain vitamin B, C, iron, potassium, phosphorus, folate, copper, riboflavin and niacin.
Get inspired by the liver recipes above and eat tasty and healthy.