Almost no cookbook is complete without a quality recipe for liver dumplings.
Therefore, use our tried-and-tested procedures and tricks to prepare the softest and most delicious soup balls.
But you have to be careful that they are not eaten before you serve the broth.
Liver dumplings in chicken liver soup
One of the most famous Czech soups is liver dumpling soup. We will show you a simple recipe for making homemade chicken liver dumplings from scratch. These are the best in the perfect chicken stock , make one of our recipes straight away.
What will we need
- 200 g of chicken liver
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 60 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ tablespoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove any visible white veins from the chicken livers.
- Place them in a food processor and blend for a few seconds.
- Add peeled and sliced garlic, eggs, dried marjoram, softened butter, salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix again.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add breadcrumbs. Mix until combined.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes. The mixture may be runnier, but it will solidify over time.
- Shaping the liver dumplings (2 ways):
- For beautifully round liver dumplings: Tip the mixture onto a work surface sprinkled with breadcrumbs. Immerse your hands in the water. Take equal amounts of the mixture. Roll a ball about 4 cm in diameter between your palms. Drop them into the boiling broth. Quickly continue shaping the dumplings.
- If you want to make liver dumplings quickly: Scoop the mixture with two spoons dipped in water and shape it as round as possible. Drop the dumplings into the boiling broth.
- Cook the dumplings in the boiling broth for about 5 minutes.
- During this time they will float to the surface.
If the liver dumpling mixture is still too runny after 30 minutes, add a tablespoon or two of breadcrumbs, stir and let rest for another 5 minutes.
The mixture for the liver dumplings should be soft, not too stiff. Otherwise, the dumplings will also be stiff and tend to fall apart during cooking.
Dough for liver dumplings should have a sharper taste. The broth takes away some of their flavor when boiled.
Liver dumplings made from beef liver
Beef liver dumplings are a popular dish in German, Austrian and Czech cuisine. Whenever I see dumpling soup on a menu, I can’t help but order it as an appetizer. Try our recipe and see how delicious they are! Especially then in the flavorfulbeef broth , which you can prepare with us.
What will we need
- 400 g of beef liver
- 3 rolls
- 250 ml whole milk (lukewarm)
- 1 onion
- 10 g of parsley
- 150 g bacon (cut into cubes)
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 5 spoons of breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 liters of beef broth
- parsley (for serving)
- Dice the rolls and add to the bowl.
- Add lukewarm milk and knead by hand. Leave to soak until the rolls are soft.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and chop the parsley.
- Cut the liver into smaller pieces and transfer to a food processor.
- Add diced bacon and mix until smooth.
- Add the liver and bacon mixture, diced onion, chopped parsley, dried marjoram, breadcrumbs, egg and soaked rolls to a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the beef stock to a boil in a large pot.
- Shape the liver dumpling mixture into balls and add them to the beef broth.
- Lower the heat as the dumplings should not be cooked.
- Let simmer for approx. 25 minutes
- Liver dumplings are served in beef broth and garnished with fresh parsley.
Discover similar tips
Pork liver dumplings
Of all the types of meat, I think liver is the least popular for cooking, because it has its typical smell. They are also quite bloody and if you don’t like a lot of salt and spices, they can taste bitter or even weird without them. But if you do everything right, you will be rewarded with unique and good-tasting pork liver dumplings. You can then serve them in this creamy soup known as kaldoun and maybe even as a side dish tothe best chicken gnocchi recipes .
What will we need
- 500 – 700 g of pork liver
- 1 onion
- a piece of butter
- 2 rolls
- 250 ml warm milk
- 1 egg
- 250 g breadcrumbs
- some parsley
- a little marjoram
- a little nutmeg
- Dice the onion and fry it in a little butter.
- Set the fried onion aside.
- Cut the rolls into small cubes.
- Put the bread cubes in another bowl and then pour a little milk over them, mix well so that they are all soaked a little, but not too much.
- Cut the liver into tiny pieces with a sharp knife or chop it in a food processor.
- Now add fried onions, bread cubes, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper to them and mix well.
- Put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Form small dumplings the size of a plum and carefully place them in the water.
- When the dumplings start to float to the top, wait 10 minutes for the dumplings to cook in the water.
How to store liver dumplings?
Liver dumplings are served in broth, be it beef or chicken broth (all recipes can be found on our website), they are always a great addition to hot soup with vegetables and noodles.
But if you have more to spare, although I highly doubt you’ll have any left, you can save them for later use.
Both raw and cooked and cooled liver dumplings can be frozen. The mixture will last up to 6 months in a freezer.
Another option is to use a high-quality vacuum cleaner, which will ensure that the liver “dough” remains fresh and tasty for a long time. You can find out how to choose the best food vacuum cleaner on our website, where we have prepared a very comprehensive review for you.