Millet is an important raw material created after millet is dehulled.
Do you know them? They are very healthy and have a universal use in the kitchen.
That is why we have prepared 6 excellent recipes from millet for you.
You’ll be surprised how great they can taste!
Millet pudding with apples
Try the pudding with millet and apples. It is tasty and hearty.
- 200 g of millet
- ⅔ can of condensed milk
- 100 g of butter
- 10 pieces of walnuts
- 100 g of apples
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- a handful of raisins
- Rinse the millet with hot water to get rid of the bitterness.
- Then put them in a pot with water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain the millet, add condensed milk, butter, sliced apples mixed with cinnamon and a handful of rinsed raisins.
- Divide the mixture into small baking dishes and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180°C.
Our tip: Try also the sweetened millet pudding .
Sweet millet porridge with fruit
Or would you be more tempted by breakfast in the form of sweet millet porridge?
- ½ cup peeled millet
- 2 cups milk (could be coconut or soy milk)
- 2 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 1 cup blueberries or other berries
- chia seeds
- almond slices
- We first rinse the millets in a strainer under running water and remove any remaining husks that would cause bitterness.
- Then pour the millet on a towel and dry it.
- If we want a smooth porridge, put the millet in a blender and blend it.
- Then put them in a pot with milk and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add blueberries and sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, we decorate with chia seeds, almond slices and fruit or simply whatever we like.
How about millet porridge? Take a look at the video:
Millet cake with chocolate and orange
A healthy recipe for sweet millet. Excellent chocolate cake.
On the corpus:
- 100 g of millet flour
- 100 g cane sugar
- 100 g of softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 spoons of cocoa
For the cream:
- 200 g of high-quality dark chocolate
- 450 ml whipping cream
- zest of two oranges and ½ cup juice
- cocoa for sprinkling
- ¼ -½ cup powdered sugar
- candied orange peel for decoration
- Beat the butter and sugar together until foamy, then add the eggs one by one, beating thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and mix with the butter foam.
- Pour the batter into a greased cake tin and bake at 180°C for 18 minutes.
- While the body is cooling, we can prepare the cream.
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath and let it cool.
- Whip the cream from the cream.
- Then mix it with the cooled chocolate, add the orange peel and juice.
- Apply the cream to the cooled body, sprinkle with cocoa mixed with sugar, decorate with candied peel and leave to cool, ideally overnight.
Discover similar tips
Millet risotto with mushrooms
Looking for healthy recipes? Salted millet may pleasantly surprise you.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 and ¼ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup of peeled millet
- 2-3 cups of vegetable broth
- ¼ cup white wine or a tablespoon of wine vinegar
- ¼ cup grated parmesan or other favorite cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- fresh parsley to serve
- Fry shallots in oil, add pressed garlic and mushrooms.
- Add wine vinegar or wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add the millet and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, cover with a lid and cook until soft.
- Finally, add spinach leaves, cheese and mix.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
You would like to buy a new hob for your kitchen. Our gas hob test can help you with your choice.
Simple millet soup with yogurt
You can easily prepare salted millet as part of the soup.
- 1 cup of yogurt
- ¼ cup millet flour
- 3 and ½ cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ cup precooked corn
- 3 tablespoons chopped peppers (mix of red, green and yellow)
- 2 tablespoons of grated carrot
- 2 cups chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of butter or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 green chili pepper to taste
- Mix the flour with the yogurt and gradually add water and mix so that no lumps form.
- Pour everything into a pot and start cooking, stirring constantly.
- Let it cook for about 15 minutes, then season with sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, some coriander and add the vegetables.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, then soften them with butter.
- Serve garnished with cilantro, or season with chili pepper.
Millet patties with sweet potatoes or pumpkin
Are you in the mood for fluffy patties with millet? They are healthy and tasty.
- ½ cup millet flour
- 1 cup spelled or gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 and ¼ to 1 and ½ soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 medium sweet potato or the same amount of pumpkin
- Sweet potato or pumpkin can be steamed or baked in the oven until soft and mashed.
- Mix the flour with salt, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix apple cider vinegar with milk and add puree.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- If the dough is too thick, add more milk.
- Pour part of the batter onto the hot pan and let it fry for about 2 minutes.
- Then turn the patty over and fry again for 2 minutes.
How to cook millet
Despite the fact that millet is a completely universal raw material that our ancestors also used, it has disappeared from our menus in recent years. At the same time, they are very healthy. They help fight fatigue, depression and anemia.
But how to cook millet so that it is not bitter? Simply scald them in a colander with hot water before putting them in water to boil. Then boil them in water with a little salt and oil for 15 minutes. This way you create the basis for all dishes, for example desserts, dumplings, soups, salads, meatballs, risotto and other goodies.
Other interesting facts about millets
Millets are associated with healthy eating. They are widely used in the kitchen and are a component of various traditional dishes, for example jahelník.
In addition, they are naturally gluten-free food and are therefore also suitable for people suffering from celiac disease .
If you like cereal dishes, be sure to be inspired by our couscous recipes .
Write in the comments how our healthy millet recipes turned out for you.