Onions are not just a base for soup.
On the contrary!
You can conjure up a lot of great treats from it.
We have prepared for you 7 excellent recipes with onions in the main role that you will love.
So let’s do it!
Onion is one of the tastiest soups ever! Decorate it with cheese, serve it with pastries, and the culinary experience will be unforgettable.
- 4 onions
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar
- 1 liter of broth
- 100 g of hard cheese
- salt pepper
- Fry the onion in butter, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and continue to simmer until the onion acquires a nice dark brown color.
- Cover with boiling broth.
- Add salt, pepper and cook over low heat.
- Serve with pastry, garnish with grated cheese on the plate.
We have other traditional and unconventional onion recipes for you. Hearty soup 5 times different!
Try these fancy fried onion rings, perfect as a snack for any event!
- 4 onions
- 1 tablespoon of starch
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- salt pepper
- 1/2 glass of beer
- frying oil
- Cut the peeled onions into wider rings and scald them in hot water.
- Beat beer with eggs, mix in flour and starch and add salt.
- Roll the rings in smooth flour, then in batter and fry on both sides until golden.
Take a look at our evaluation of stainless steel pans in which you can conveniently prepare onion rings!
Savory onion pie with cheese and ham
Kids and adults alike will love this puff pastry pie! It will serve perfectly as breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner.
- 400 g puff pastry
- 500 g onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of thyme
- 3 eggs
- 1 cottage cheese
- 100 g of hard cheese
- 200 g of smoked meat / ham
- salt and pepper
- Roll the dough into a round shape and line the cake pan with it.
- Fry the onion in oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- We continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the eggs with cottage cheese, half of the cheese, smoked meat and a little pepper.
- Add onion.
- Fill the casing with the mixture.
- Finally, sprinkle the cake with the remaining cheese and bake for about forty minutes.
- Due to the ingredients, we prefer to serve it chilled, it can cause bloating when warm.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives.
Try our other onion cake recipes for any occasion!
Discover similar tips
Sipping onion tea is the best way to get rid of cough. Try it yourself!
- 2 ORGANIC onions, quartered and skinned
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon honey or to taste
- Place the onion in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- We lower the temperature and cook for about 1 hour.
- Strain the hot liquid through a sieve.
- Pour into a mug, sweeten to taste with honey and drink as warm as possible.
This red onion marmalade is rich, sweet, full of flavor and pectin free. It goes well with a cheese board, as an addition to a hamburger or grilled cheese.
- 1 kg red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 70 g of olive oil suitable for cooking
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup sugar
- salt pepper
- 250 ml of wine vinegar
- Chop the onion and garlic and fry them in oil.
- Add sugar, thyme, cloves, bay leaf, (chilli), pepper, salt to the pot and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Cook on a low flame for 30 minutes.
- Add wine vinegar.
- Stir the mixture and cook until 1/2 of the liquid evaporates.
- The finished marmalade has a mahogany color and a spicy taste.
Crunchy bread with cheese and onions
With a crispy cheesy crust and a soft savory interior, this onion bread is absolutely captivating and you will never want another. See for yourself!
- 56.5 g of sourdough
- 170 g of bread flour
- 110 g of water
For the dough:
- leavened mixture from the previous point
- 227 grams of lukewarm water
- 110 g of lukewarm milk
- 7 g of dry yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of honey
- 567 g of bread flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 198 g chopped sweet onion
- 340 g grated cheese of your choice
- Mix the ingredients for the rising and let it rest, covered, until it has almost doubled in size.
- To make the dough, break the leavened mixture into pieces and mix with water, milk, dried yeast and honey.
- Add flour and salt and knead with a dough hook for 5 minutes on a low setting.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Knead on medium speed for another five minutes.
- Add the onion and knead for about a minute on low.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 4 days.
- On the day of baking, take the dough out of the fridge and let it rest for about 2 hours.
- Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured surface and gently press it into two rectangles.
- Sprinkle each half with cheese and roll up the dough.
- We close the seam and shape the dough into a shape or a baguette.
- Place the loaves on a tray lined with baking paper, spray with oil and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise for about 90 to 120 minutes.
- They should be puffy.
- Place the baking stone (pizza stone) on the middle rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 230 degrees.
- Place an old enamel tray on the bottom rack, pour a cup of hot water into it, place the bread on the stone, close the door and reduce the oven temperature to 218 degrees Celsius.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the loaves are golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 90 degrees Celsius.
- Let it cool on a wire rack for about an hour.
- Enjoy it!
Do you have old bread at home and don’t know what to do with it? You may think of toast, but how about a delicious soup? Do you like cold, refreshing soups, or do you prefer rich and thick soups that warm you up? Try our recipes for bread soup , which will surprise you with its taste.
Get inspired by our truly phenomenal recipe for Homemade Caramelized Onion Sauce, guaranteed to please any of your guests!
- 56 g of butter
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled, halved and then thinly sliced (or diced if you prefer smaller pieces)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig of fresh sage
- 2 cups of thick beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoons of cold butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and sugar and cook for about 30 minutes until the onion caramelizes.
- Add red wine and herbs, cook for 2 minutes on high heat, reduce heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Next, add the stock, mustard, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- We take out the sprigs of herbs.
- Add the vinegar, whisk in the cornstarch and cook for another minute or two until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Then add cold butter and beat until melted.
- Finally, salt and pepper to taste, or you can add a little mustard.
- Enjoy it!
The substances contained in onions are also effective in the treatment of a number of minor problems or in home cosmetics:
- in case of joint pain, we drink onion juice with honey
- in case of constipation, drink a drink made from 2.5 dl of milk, 10 dkg of honey and the juice of 1 onion
- when caring for your hair, a pack of freshly squeezed onion juice will help maintain a nice dark color
Did you like any onion recipe? Share it with your friends !