What kinds of onions do you know?
Ashlar is an interesting variety that survives even harsh winters.
You can use it like a classic onion, but you don’t have to.
Today we will look at its cultivation, benefits and consumption.
What does she look like and what can you expect from her?
You can find out everything now and here.
What’s an oyster?
Chives are winter onions and got their name because they can easily survive the winter outside in the soil. But you can also come across the name sečka or Siberian onion.
The classic onion is a biennial plant, while the ash onion is a perennial that will last you for many years. It originates from Asia.
What do winter onions look like?
Ashtrays have a classic look just like spring onions. It boasts green tops and bulbs hidden underground. Practically, it is an ordinary onion, but its taste is a little more subtle.
You can easily tell from the name that it can be grown during the winter . You will have a rich harvest, even if there are severe frosts.
Onions are very healthy and have great benefits for the body. Get to know all the benefits of onions and you might be surprised what they can do. It is a valuable source of vitamins that you must not underestimate.
How to grow winter onions?
You can plant winter onions in spring or autumn . Planting in the fall will give you a much bigger and better harvest. You can plant it anytime between October and December (2-3 weeks before the first frost).
Choose a sunny spot. Plant the onions 5-10 cm deep into the soil with a distance of 10-15 cm between each bulb. You can plant it directly in the ground or in a container. An ideal container must be at least 45 cm wide.
Harvesting winter onions
You can harvest the first vegetables two to three months after planting , i.e. even in the middle of winter. You can continue harvesting from mid-winter until spring.
If you want to keep a few pieces for autumn planting, let them dry in the sun. Store it in a cool and dry place. It will last there until autumn, when you can plant it again and continue to grow it.
Why should you consume sea buckthorn?
Winter onions are a great source of many valuable components that you need for your health. There are many reasons to consume these vegetables regularly. In winter, it should be a basic ingredient in the kitchen. It will strengthen your health because it contains:
- vitamin C,
Strengthening the immune system
Onions are very rich in vitamin C, phytochemicals and many antioxidant compounds . Thanks to this, it strengthens the immune system in winter and summer. In addition, it produces heat inside the body. It will keep you pleasantly warm, even if it’s cold.
The presence of natural compounds ensures antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It perfectly fights infections in the body (colds, coughs, asthma, ear pain, skin problems, etc.).
It helps with weight loss
Want to keep your weight off during the winter? Eat onions. They contain many minerals (calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium) and fiber. In addition, it contains few calories.
What are the nutritional values of winter onions?
Ash is low in calories and high in fiber. In addition, it contains many important minerals. Eating these vegetables is generally very healthy. All types are healthy, including winter onions.
|Energy value||36 kcal|
Creamy winter onions
Wondering how to use winter onions? One of the options is preparation on cream. It is a delicious and delicate dish. Perfect for the festive table. Preparation takes 1 hour and 25 minutes. You should get 6-10 servings.
- 1.3 winter onions
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 6 spoons of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cut off the ends and clean the onion. Place in a pot and cover with chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. The onion should be slightly soft.
- Remove the onion (leave the broth in the pot). Let the broth boil.
- Melt the butter and add the flour. Quickly add the liquid ingredients.
- Add spices (except nutmeg) over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Place the onion in a clean pot and cover with the cream sauce.
- Place in the oven and bake at 190 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Rustic Onion Pie
Pie is always a great way to process fruits and vegetables. Winter onions will taste great in it. At the same time, the preparation is not complicated and the taste is excellent.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil or Provencal herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon of cold water
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 5 cups onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated raclette cheese
- Place the flour, cornmeal, herbs and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Mix it up.
- Add the butter and mix until the mixture is like crumbs.
- Add water as you go and mix until the dough comes together. But you must not mix it.
- Sift flour onto the work surface and transfer the dough. Knead gently with your hands to bring the dough together.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate.
- Melt the butter over medium heat for the onion filling. Add onion and salt.
- Fry on low heat for 15-20 minutes until the onions are light golden.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Dust a sheet pan with cornmeal or grease a heavy baking dish.
- Roll out the dough to the size of the baking sheet. Tip the dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the prepared onion on the dough and leave a free edge all around. Fold the edges over the filling. Grind fresh pepper on top.
- Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Then pour half of the cream.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Pour the rest of the cream and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.