The oil rhizome hides its unique treasures underground.
You certainly know them, they are called peanuts, peanuts, peanuts, but also peanuts or monkey nuts.
In general, they are viewed as nuts, so few people really know what health benefits they actually offer.
Why are peanuts healthier than fruit and how can they burn calories?
Find the answers in this article.
What are peanuts and peanuts?
The groundnut plant is more interesting than it might seem at first glance. It is grown for its seeds, which have many names – peanuts, peanuts, peanuts, etc. For this reason, the lay public mistakenly considers them to be nuts. However, peanuts are legumes and, due to their high fat content, are also classified as oilseeds.
Another interesting fact is that the seeds are part of the fruit that grows underground. The fruit is known as a soft shell, which hides exactly two peanuts with the shell.
When harvesting, groundnut plants are first taken out of the ground and turned “upside down” – so that the roots with fruits do not remain in the soil, but above it. Thus inverted, they are left for several days. After the fruits are sufficiently dry, they are threshed out of the roots – either whole (with the shell) or directly just the peanuts (seeds).
There are several varieties of groundnut, each grown for a different use.
|size||middle core||large nucleus||small core||middle core|
| number of seeds|
in the fetus
|production||peanut butter||roasted peanuts in the shell|| roasted peanuts,|
| roasted peanuts,|
peanuts for cooking
Do groundnut seeds affect human health?
Peanuts are literally loaded with nutrients. They contain not only a large amount of protein, but also minerals, vitamins, bioactive compounds and antioxidants. They are truly exceptional in this regard, as they have much greater antioxidant capabilities than some types of fruit.
Value of antioxidant content per 100 g 1 :
|Blue grape wine||2.42||Peach||0.15|
The powerful antioxidant resveratrol, which is commonly found in red wine, is worth mentioning. It is generally known that this is what makes red wine so beneficial for heart health. However, a lesser known fact is that peanut seeds are also a source of this antioxidant.
Resveratrol, found in peanuts, reduces the risk of heart disease including heart cancer. It also increases blood flow, mainly in the brain, which naturally prevents stroke. Sufficient blood flow to the brain is also a prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia 2 .
Why (not) eat peanuts
Although they contain a large amount of fat, they do not contribute to weight gain. On the contrary, studies have shown that the protein and monounsaturated fats contained in peanuts can help with weight reduction 3 . It follows that, unlike other popular nuts, peanuts burn calories and thus reduce the risk of obesity 4 .
| Peanuts, raw|
100 g 5
| Walnuts, raw|
100 g 6
|Energy value||570 calories||654 calories|
|Proteins||26.2 g||15.2 g|
|Fats||49.6 g||65.2 g|
|Carbohydrates||15.8 g||13.7 g|
|Fiber||9.5 g||6.7 g|
|Calcium||106 mg||98 mg|
|Iron||3.91 mg||2.91 mg|
|Magnesium||188 mg||158 mg|
|Potassium||744 mg||441 mg|
|Thiamin||0.675 mg||0.341 mg|
|Niacin||15.9 mg||1.12 mg|
| Fatty acids|
|7.1 g||6.13 g|
| Fatty acids|
|22.3 g||8.93 g|
| Fatty acids|
|17.2 g||47.2 g|
|Arginine||3.13 g||2.28 g|
Despite its benefits, peanuts are unfortunately also classified as food allergens. But not entirely of his own doing. Right after milk and eggs, the most common allergens are all types of nuts. Although peanuts are legumes, they nevertheless have a similar protein structure to nuts, which is why they also cause a reaction in people with allergies.
Recipes in which peanuts play a major role
- Definitely candy. Stores are already stocking up during the fall, because peanuts must not be missing in any kitchen before Christmas. They are suitable for baked, unbaked, stuffed and butter types. If you’re looking for some fresh Christmas cookie inspiration, you might be interested in Chocolate Peanut Date Brownies .
- Green salads are even more crunchy when you add peanuts to them. They perfectly complement the taste of red and white cabbage, carrots, horseradish and especially coriander. Don’t be afraid to try raw cabbage salads , once you taste them, you won’t want to eat another one.
- The naysayers will disagree, but peanuts should really be part of the so-called chicken china. This is a domesticated Czech version of the Kung Pao dish. See for yourself that Chinese Kung Pao recipes are full of peanuts.
- Dishes of Asian cuisine – peanuts are often the main ingredient in them. They are added to soups, spicy sauces and to shrimps. If you’re a rice noodle lover, be sure to try some version of Pad Thai with peanuts .
- Peanuts and soy – a combination that simply works, no matter which soy product you choose. Try the popular soybean “meat” Tempeh wrapped in peanuts, or the Vietnamese peanut Bun Cha in a meatless version with tofu .
The oil is obtained by cold pressing, pressing out of the seeds. It is not heated during production, as is common with other oils, so it retains all the beneficial substances. It is cholesterol-free and contains so-called healthy fats – monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Peanut oil does not increase the amount of bad cholesterol in the body, it has almost the same composition as olive and avocado oil and also similar effects. It helps to regulate insulin in the pancreas and thus the natural absorption of blood sugar.
| Peanut oil|
100 g 7
| Olive oil|
100 g 8
| Avocado oil|
100 g 9
| Fatty acids|
|16.2 g||15.4 g||11.6 g|
| Fatty acids|
|57.1 g||69.2 g||70.6 g|
| Fatty acids|
|19.9 g||9.07 g||13.5 g|
Peanut oil does not have a nutty taste as you might think. On the contrary – it is tasteless. It has a high smoke point (230 °C) and is therefore suitable not only for cooking but also for frying.
What is a high smoke point? The smoke point refers to the temperature at which the fats in the oil become toxic as they break down. It thus determines the (un)suitability of individual types of oils, especially for frying (high temperatures).
The flour is made from crushed defatted groundnut seeds, has a nutty taste, is gluten-free and vegan. Since 50% of its content is protein, it also becomes a natural protein. It is suitable for all low-carbohydrate diets, so it often appears in keto diet recipes .
Defatted peanut flour is usually light in color and contains no more than 12% fat. It is less aromatic and acts as a starch binder. It is usually used to thicken sauces and soups or replace protein in drinks.
Fatty peanut flour (up to 28% fat) is usually noticeably darker. It is used in baked goods, desserts or spicy sauces, wherever its strong nutty flavor is desired.
Although peanut butter may seem like an unhealthy candy, it’s not. The quality product contains only 90% peanuts, i.e. no unhealthy substances. It is made by grinding roasted seeds and flavoring with salt or honey.
Peanut butter contains up to 25% of the daily recommended intake of fiber and protein, yet it has a small amount of carbohydrates (around 20%). It is therefore suitable not only for athletes to maintain and support muscles, but non-athletes on a low-carbohydrate diet can also consume it.
In addition, it provides the body with a considerable amount of vitamins and minerals, for example niacin. It supports the proper functioning of the nervous and digestive system and is indispensable for the body. Two tablespoons of peanut butter provide the body with 32% of the required daily intake of niacin.
| Peanut butter|
coarse, without added salt
100 g 10
|Energy value||589 calories|
How is its quality in stores?
When choosing, it is necessary to read the labels and composition in great detail. Choose a butter that contains the maximum amount of peanuts (preferably 90%) and has no added sugars, artificial sweeteners, colors or oils.
Two versions of butter commonly appear on the market – coarse and smooth. Coarse butter has pieces of peanuts and is therefore crunchy, whereas smooth is absolutely ground and creamy.
Finding your way around the plethora of available products and choosing really high-quality peanut butter is a superhuman task. A much faster option is to make this healthy delicacy at home.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
Whether you call it peanut butter or peanut butter, homemade will always be the healthiest. As a bonus, the recipe is also very easy and the butter itself only takes a few minutes to make. To prepare, you will need unseasoned roasted peanuts. You can usually find these in stores, but you can also roast raw peanuts at home in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Pour raw unshelled peanuts into a deep baking dish and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the baking sheet and let the peanuts cool.
- After cooling, simply remove the skin from them – by squeezing between two fingers.
Peanut butter, procedure:
For one cup of butter, you’ll need two full cups of roasted, shelled peanuts and a high-speed blender. A classic stick blender with a chopping container for nuts is suitable. It can be closed with a lid and is usually the ideal size for preparing butter. If you are just considering buying a so-called hand mixer, read the comparison of the advantages and functions that each type offers .
- Pour the peanuts into the container and turn on the blender.
- After 3 minutes, the coarse peanut butter is ready, then mix the smooth for at least 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a glass, or leave in a mixing bowl and cover.
- Store in the refrigerator.
If pure peanut butter doesn’t appeal to you, change the recipe, there are no limits to your imagination. You can add honey, agave syrup or even chocolate before mixing.
It is normal for the oil to separate and collect on the top, especially after sitting in the fridge for a long time. All you have to do is mix the contents lightly and the consistency of the butter will adjust again.
How to include peanut butter in your diet?
- It is a very popular substitute for classic butter in unbaked desserts and sweets. You can try, for example , honey balls with peanut butter , which are quick and easy to prepare.
- Especially in the US states, peanut butter is a common part of children’s snacks mainly because of the nutrients it provides. Thus, American children consume peanut butter spread on baked goods more often than, say, a bowl of fruit.
- Add a tablespoon or two to your breakfast porridge. It will complement the gluten-free sorghum ones perfectly, which will literally start your day.
- Peanut butter is poured over ice cream sundaes, pancakes, fruit dumplings, buns and, in Indonesian cuisine, even grilled meat.
- Do you know the so-called Lava Cake? Use peanut butter as a filling in these sweet and unique fondants. Get inspired by the best lava cake recipes and taste the taste of roasted peanut butter yourself.
Groundnut seeds are full of interesting things or did you know that…?
Peanut pastes are used as a therapeutic food to alleviate famine in developing countries. Thanks to the high content of protein and other nutrients, peanut seeds literally save the lives of malnourished children.
Peanuts are the most traveled crop in the world. It comes from South America, where it was discovered by Spanish explorers who brought it to Europe. European traders traded them to Asia and then to Africa. The groundnut was brought “back” to North America many decades later with African slaves.
Peanuts and their products are popular especially in the USA and Canada. The average annual consumption of peanuts per inhabitant of Canada is 3.5 kg, in contrast, the inhabitants of Europe eat only one spoon per year.
America’s annual consumption of peanut butter covers the entire area of the Grand Canyon 11 .
While researching the earth’s core and its composition, scientists made a small diamond 12 from peanut butter.