Another unique variety of cheese known as Olomouc cottage cheese!
Find out why they are so intense in their aroma and taste, how they are produced, if they are healthy and how to tell a good curd from a bad one.
In this article, you will learn all the important information, including a fantastic recipe for cheese tater tots!
What are Olomouc cheese curds?
It is a ripening cheese made from defatted curd. It has a very unique spicy taste, an unmistakable aroma, it is golden yellow on the surface, which changes towards the center, where it is lighter, and its consistency is sticky semi-soft to soft.
It is usually sold in the form of a circle, ring or sticks.
Where did Olomouc cheese curds originate?
The roots of cheese production go back 130 years to the original founder, Alois Wessels.
When the company was returned to its original owners after the fall of communism in 1991, the business took off again and the small business became a successful large company.
Today, the company produces over 2,400 tons of cheese per year, exactly according to EU standards.
How are Olomouc curds made?
Cheese curds are made from defatted cottage cheese and salt with the addition of acidity regulators and milk culture.
Only first-class and high-quality local raw materials are used in their production. The cheese is produced without the addition of rennet, dyes, flavors and stabilizers.
It does not contain substances that cause celiac disease and is therefore suitable for a gluten-free diet.
How do cottage cheese taste?
It has a typical and unmistakable taste and smell caused by the so-called degradation of cheese proteins. It has great nutritional values that make it a top cheese.
How to recognize a good/bad shapewear?
It is good, although : orange to brownish discoloration is visible on its surface, it has white mold on the surface, it is deformed, which may be caused by uneven ripening of the curd or failure to observe the storage temperature, this is not a defect!
It is bad when : the mold on the surface is visible with the naked eye and is black, green, gray in color, has a very fine consistency and liquid is released, tastes bitter
Nutritional values of Olomouc cottage cheese (per 100 g)
|Calorie||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Fats||Saturated fatty acids||Proteins||Fiber||Salt|
|138 calories||2 g||0 g||0.8 g||0.2 g||30 g||0 g||5 g|
How to eat Olomouc cottage cheese?
|Slice it on buttered bread and sprinkle with fresh chives, or be inspired by one of these Italian bruschetta recipes|
|Fry it in a triple wrap and serve it with potatoes or try these fresh recipes for a classic fryer|
|Prepare fried apples stuffed with bacon with melted cottage cheese on their surface|
|You can also prepare its pickled version. Get inspired by these recipes for the perfect pickle|
Recipe for tartare from Olomouc cottage cheese
- 400 g of Olomouc cottage cheese
- Small red onion (cut into small cubes)
- 6 tablespoons of chopped chives
- Small chili pepper (optional and finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons light beer
- A pinch of cumin
- A pinch of sweet paprika
- 4 spoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Radishes, peppers, spring onions (for decoration)
- Toasts fried in butter (to serve)
- For the dressing, mix sour cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of beer and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in 4 tablespoons of chopped chives
- Finely chop the cheeses
- Mix them with onions, 2 tablespoons of chopped chives, chili pepper, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of beer, a pinch of cumin and salt and pepper
- Before serving, dust with sweet paprika, sprinkle with chopped radishes and serve with toast and sour cream dressing