Pénízovka is one of the sought-after delicacies all over the world!
Read what they look like, in what season they grow and how you can process them in the kitchen!
Enjoy this delicious and fragrant mushroom in 1,000 possible ways!
What is a velvet-legged penny bun?
These mushrooms are also sometimes called “golden needles, lilies or enokitake”
They are a type of edible mushroom that naturally grows on tree stumps from late fall to early spring.
Cultivated varieties differ significantly from those that grow in the wild. Cultivated mushrooms are deprived of light and grown in a CO2-rich environment, which results in their pale white color with slender stems up to 15 cm long and small caps.
How to recognize money coins?
- These mushrooms grow from October to April and are among the few mushrooms that grow even in winter.
- It grows in large clusters on dead wood, especially deciduous trees, but also near ponds, in parks, gardens and orchards.
- Hats are up to 8 cm wide with a ribbed brim. The surface of the hat is shiny, yellow-orange to reddish.
- The scales are thin, white in young mushrooms and later yellow-orange.
- The leg is thin, elongated. In young mushrooms, it is ochreous, but it can be even black.
- The pulp is fleshy, firm with a sweet smell and taste.
- In the kitchen, it is most often used for roast poultry, risotto, soups, sauces and toasts. They are among the tastiest mushrooms in the world, but only their caps are eaten.
How does the coin taste?
They have a soft, earthy, slightly sweet and slightly fruity taste. When fresh, their texture is crunchy, and the longer they cook, the chewier they become.
They pair well with ingredients such as soy sauce, lemongrass, garlic, miso, ginger and seaweed.
Nutritional value of the pennyroyal (per 100 g)
|Calorie||Carbohydrates||Sugars||Fats||Saturated fatty acids||Proteins||Fiber||Salt|
|36 kcal||8 g||0.2 g||0.3g||0 g||2.7 g||2.7 g||3 mg|
They also contain elements such as: niacin, calcium, potassium, selenium, copper, phosphorus and iron.
Their medicinal effects are also known to include:
- Cancer prevention – breast and liver cancer
- Prevention of high blood pressure
- Gastric ulcers
- Liver problems
Recipes with velveteen money
|These mushrooms can be consumed both raw and cooked|
|Trim the legs and wash before eating|
|The soft, crunchy texture of mushrooms can be served fresh in salads, lightly sautéed and added to fried noodle dishes, mixed into omelets, risottos, curries, sushi or even into our delicious spring rolls . They are most commonly used in hot soups, added for texture, but can also be blanched in a soy sauce-based mixture and served as a main dish|
|Pennezovka are most often served with soba noodles, soy sauce, miso, garlic, onion, spring onion, seaweed, cabbage, ginger, bacon, seafood such as crab, lobster or shrimp, lemon grass, fresh herbs, long beans, carrots , celery and paprika|
|Another way to use mushrooms is to add them fresh to a bowl of ramen noodles, pho, or quickly cook them in hot broth. Cook up our Asian Pad Tai recipe and add stir-fried penny buns to it|
|Bite-sized bundles of mushrooms are sometimes wrapped in bacon, grilled, and then served in a spicy sauce|
|After washing the mushrooms, heat a small amount of neutral oil, such as peanut oil or canola oil, in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for one minute before adding the chopped spring onion and minced garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds, then season with soy sauce and serve. You can add them to oneof these fried rice recipes , where they will taste absolutely luxurious|
Mushrooms are often sold in plastic containers. So the best thing to do is to unwrap and use the money bags right away.
However, if you plan to store them in the refrigerator for any length of time, remove them from the plastic wrap and store them in a paper bag, where they will stay fresh for 5 to 7 days.