Do you love Italian cuisine? Don’t hesitate to try pizza dough recipes in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Conjure up the most amazing delicacies and delight your loved ones and friends.
Do not hesitate to taste each type of dough and find out which one suits you best, is the tastiest and most crunchy.
In short, if it meets all your requirements for the best Italian delicacy that can be prepared.
The best pizza dough
Italian cuisine entered our homes a long time ago, and nothing makes us happier than a delicious pizza. But preparing a really high-quality foundation for her is often a very difficult matter. We hope to make it a little easier for you with this recipe. And if you’re looking for inspiration for flavoring, take a look at some interesting pizza recipes .
- 250 – 295 g plain or bread flour
- 1 bag of instant yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 175 ml warm water
- Mix 125 g of flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil, warm water and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle in the remaining flour and mix until a smooth uniform dough is formed that is just elastic and pulls away from the walls.
- We have to expect that the dough will be a little sticky, but it still needs to be kneaded thoroughly by hand.
- Prepare a large clean bowl, smear the inside with olive oil and set aside for now.
- We flour our hands and shape the dough into a ball, which we put in a greased bowl and turn over several times so that the oil gets on each piece of dough.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and let it rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes so that it doubles in volume.
- After this time, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Gently deflate the dough with your hands, transfer it to a floured rolling pin, knead it briefly to make it smooth and roll it out with a rolling pin into a round plate with a diameter of 30 cm.
- Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper, or into a round pizza pan of the required size. We bend the edges slightly to form the edge and thus the crust.
- Drizzle the surface of the dough with olive oil and spread it over the entire surface of the pizza using a pastry brush or a rolling pin.
- Pierce the surface of the dough with a fork in several places so that bubbles do not form on it during baking.
- Decorate as desired and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 13-15 minutes, so that the ingredients are golden brown.
- Then just cut and serve.
Tip: If you want a crunchier surface, choose bread flour, for a softer crust, smooth is better.
Each recipe offers certain characteristics that form the basis for a tasty pizza, and this is no different. The preparation is extremely simple, quick and, above all, without lengthy rising. Another advantage is that we can prepare the dough for stock and store it in the freezer.
- 1 and 1/2 cup warm water (not boiling)
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of instant yeast
- 3 and 1/2 cups semi-coarse flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and prepare a pizza pan or baking tray. Line with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix water, instant yeast, sugar in a bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, flour, spices and knead until everything is combined. We can also use a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- After kneading, divide the dough into two or three equal parts. It depends on how thick we want the crust. We can also make one large pizza for the whole tray.
- Sprinkle the roller, cutting board or kitchen surface with flour and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle or rectangle.
- Brush the edges of the dough with extra virgin olive oil and transfer to the prepared tray or form.
- Decorate as desired and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes until the crust acquires a golden brown shade.
- Then take it out of the oven, let it rest for about 5 minutes and only then cut it into individual portions.
Pizza without yeast
Got a pizza craving but don’t have any yeast at home? It doesn’t matter, because you can make it with just what you have, without the need to deal with yeast. You simply make pizza dough in an alternative version.
- 2 and 1/2 cups semi-coarse flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Put water in another bowl, add oil, mix and start adding it to the flour mixture bit by bit.
- Use a wooden spoon or your hands to make a dough that should be neither too soft nor too sticky.
- If it is too dry, add a little more water.
- Lightly flour the work surface and transfer the finished dough onto it.
- Use a rolling pin to roll into a circle with a diameter of 30 cm or divide the dough into 2 equal parts and roll out a pair of smaller pizzas.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and decorate to taste. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15-1 minutes until golden.
- Take it out of the oven, let it rest for a while and then just cut it.
Luxury dough for making Italian pizza
You will surely agree that there is nothing better than enjoying this delicacy directly in Italy, but you are not always lucky enough to visit these parts.
We therefore have to make do with what we have. If you don’t want to go to a restaurant, we will prepare a pizza simply at home.
If such a dish is to be perfection itself, then quality and above all fresh ingredients are needed, from which it will be a joy.
- 600 ml of warm water
- 1 kg plain flour
- 3 tablespoons of fresh yeast or 2 teaspoons of dried
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Prepare a medium-sized bowl, pour warm water into it and sprinkle yeast. Stir until the yeast dissolves.
- Put the flour and salt into another bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the water and yeast mixture.
- Add sugar, olive oil and knead everything together for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the dough is nice and smooth. The surface must remain floured.
- We take a clean bowl, smear it with oil, put in the finished dough, turn it a few times so that it is lightly oiled on all sides.
- Make a cross on the surface of the dough, cover the bowl with a clean towel and put it in a warm place. Let it rest for 4 to 5 hours.
- Once the dough has rested, preheat the oven to 180-200 degrees.
- We turn it out of the bowl onto a floured roll, press it to get rid of the bubbles and divide it in half, leaving it to rest for 10 minutes again.
- Roll each half into a 30 cm circle and transfer to a baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Brush the edges with olive oil and decorate the pizza as desired.
- Bake individually for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the type of oven.
- Take out the pizza, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake again for a few minutes so that the cheese forms a golden brown crust and the edges of the pizza are light brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil, because only then will it have the true taste and smell of Italy.
Discover similar tips
Yogurt pizza dough
Nowadays, many of us try to live at least a little healthier and adjust not only our lifestyle, but also the ingredients we use.
Especially if you try to eat only foods that are low in sugar and fat. This recipe is made from Greek yogurt, but does not contain yeast and therefore does not need to rise. Do not hesitate and browse the yogurt recipes according to your own taste .
- 1 cup semi-coarse flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Pour the flour, baking powder, garlic and onion powder, salt into a large bowl and mix carefully so that everything is mixed and aerated.
- We add Greek yogurt and make a smooth dough, which we put straight on the roll.
- We divide it into two parts or we can leave it whole.
- Using a rolling pin, roll it into a thin pancake, which we transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper or coated with olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- Decorate to taste and place in a preheated oven.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes so that the surface is golden brown and the crust is crispy, but not burnt.
- After baking, remove the tray from the oven and set it aside for 10 minutes so that the pizza is not so hot.
- Then just cut into portions and serve.
Tip: If we decide to make smaller pizzas and divide the dough into 4 pizzas instead of one big one, we have to reduce the baking time to 8-10 minutes.
Pizza from the fridge
Homemade dough can be just as tasty as the one prepared for us in a restaurant. Just choose the right option and follow the instructions. This recipe is simple and the resulting pizza tastes delicious. We just mix a few ingredients and let it rest in the fridge, where it will rise a little at the same time.
- 3 cups of bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- Pour the flour, yeast, salt into the bowl and stir to mix the ingredients.
- Pour water and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- We don’t need to knead the dough, it’s enough to simply mix it so that it has a fine texture.
- We carefully cover the bowl with food foil so that not even the smallest gap remains anywhere and store it in the refrigerator.
- We let it rest and slowly rise for 24 hours. Then we can use the dough immediately.
- The dough can rest like this in the fridge for up to 3 days. The longer it rests, the crispier the crust.
- About an hour before you want to use it, take it out of the fridge and let it rest at room temperature.
- After that, preheat the oven to 220 degrees and prepare a baking sheet, but turn it upside down (a baking stone would be better, but those who don’t have one have to settle for a sheet).
- While we are preparing the dough, let’s heat the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves and place each on baking paper the size of a baking sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle with a diameter of 30 cm.
- Do not forget to sprinkle the dough so that it does not stick during rolling.
- Decorate the pizzas as you like, for example Hawaiian, ham or maybe mushroom flavor, and carefully transfer them to the heated baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until the surface is golden brown and the edges begin to acquire a light brown shade.
- Take the finished pizza out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- We then process the second dough in the same way and can serve after baking.
Gluten-free for celiacs
If someone is gluten intolerant, it doesn’t have to mean the end of the world right away. He simply learns to use the recipes that suit him. This pizza dough is simple, quick to make, and even though it is gluten-free, the result is a wonderfully crispy crust.
- 234 g gluten-free multipurpose flour
- 14 g of skim milk powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey (or granulated sugar)
- 227 ml of warm water
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Pour gluten-free flour, powdered milk, baking powder, salt into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix thoroughly.
- In the meantime, put honey (sugar, depending on what we use), warm water, half of the olive oil, instant yeast and about 80 g of the dry mixture that we mixed in a small bowl.
- Stir to mix the mixture, while we may get small lumps, but they are not a problem at all.
- We let it rest for 30 minutes, until the mixture thickens and the smell of yeast begins to waft from it.
- Once this is done, add this yeast mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixer and beat on medium speed for about 4 minutes. The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Then preheat the oven to 200 degrees and pour the remaining olive oil onto the baking sheet.
- Spoon the dough onto a baking sheet with oil, wet your hands and, with wet fingers, begin to pull the dough outwards from the center.
- Shape it into a circle about 28 to 30 cm in size. Then let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the dough hardens.
- We take it out of the oven, let it stand for a while, then decorate as we like and return it to the oven.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the type of oven and the amount of filling. Bake until golden.
- Serve immediately after removing from the oven.
Vegan pizza dough
Is there anything better than preparing your favorite treat at home? Every pizza is unique, and if you are a vegan, then this recipe will surely interest you.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups semi-coarse flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter
- Mix the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Let it activate for 10 minutes to form a foam.
- Mix in the oil, salt, 1/2 cup flour and knead by hand or with a stand mixer until it forms a ball. The dough will be sticky, but not too much.
- When it gets really sticky, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour and knead again until everything comes together. We continue like this for about 5 minutes.
- Then we grease a clean bowl with oil, put a ball of dough in it, cover it with a clean towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- We press the risen dough, remove it from the bowl and knead it several more times on the work surface.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 30 cm round cake and transfer it to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Brush the surface with olive oil, pierce it in several places with a fork and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Add the dough and pre-bake it for about 5-7 minutes so that the surface turns a little golden.
- Remove from the oven, brush with melted vegan butter and then immediately decorate as desired.
- We return it to the oven and let it bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the pizza has a golden brown crust.
Pizza from the home bakery
The fact is that these devices are already in many households, similar to the dishwasher. It will save us a lot of work not only when making the dough, but also during the baking itself. In addition, there are also models in which you can prepare, for example, homemade marmalade.
- 2 cups of bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of melted fresh butter
- 1 spoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup warm water (heated to 105 – 100°C)
- We add all the ingredients to the bakery in the order recommended by the manufacturer of our oven.
- The water really has to be at the right temperature, otherwise the yeast wouldn’t rise as it should.
- We turn on the bakery and set the program for the dough. We continuously monitor its processing in the bakery.
- It is important that the dough is not too wet, but not dry either, just soft and pliable.
- The dough will rise nicely during the cycle. Once the process is over (its length depends on the type of oven), take the dough out of the oven onto a lightly floured surface and knead thoroughly.
- Roll into a 30 cm round cake and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a pizza stone. Brush the edges of the pizza with olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. We decorate as we like and put it in a preheated oven.
- Bake for approx. 18-25 minutes so that the crust is crispy and the surface is golden brown.
- After removing from the oven, let it rest for at least 5 minutes and then cut it.
A bit of history
There is no need to introduce this delicacy, which is popular all over the world. However, it does not hurt to take a look at some interesting data. The ancient Egyptians prepared pies, which were in a way a variant of pizza. Later, the Romans learned to bake them from them.
The first pizzerias began to appear at the end of the 17th century. At that time, tomatoes were experiencing their boom, and so already in the 18th century, pizza began to appear, in the form that it is until now.
In 1889, the most well-known and famous pizza, the Margherita, was created, which bore the name of the popular queen. In her honor, the pizza shone in the colors of Italy, i.e. red, green and cheese. That means tomato + basil + cheese.
Gradually, pizza reached the whole world and, for example, in the USA they had their first official pizza only in 1943. It was a pizza called Chicago-Style. 1948 saw the sale of the very first pre-made pizza dough, and in 1957 the first frozen pizza hit the market. It didn’t take long for this popular dish to become part of today’s already abundantly developed fast-food establishments.
Interesting facts about pizza
Nowadays, it is common to celebrate something important or interesting every day. Therefore, you will not be surprised that pizza also has its big day.
Believe it or not, February 9th is International Pizza Day. After all, pizza is one of the least popular foods, especially in Italy, and according to various surveys, it is the most popular dish among 82% of the population.
In the eighties of the 20th century, they even baked a giant pizza in Florida, which was divided into almost 95 thousand portions. This is an absolute first in the USA. In Rome, they baked the largest pizza in the world in 2012. It was 1,261 square meters and anyone could enjoy it, because it was completely gluten-free.
It is even worth mentioning that there is also an unofficial capital of pizza, namely Sao Paulo in Brazil. It owes its nickname to the fact that there are more than 6,000 pizzerias or restaurants and similar establishments where pizza is regularly served.
What are the most common types of pizza?
- A ton
- Quatro formaggi
- Frutti di Mare