Quinoa recipes are healthy and hearty.
You can prepare them from seeds, flakes and flour, both salty and sweet.
We will answer the question of what is quinoa. It is the fruit of a plant called the Chilean Merlik.
The taste is reminiscent of nuts, it has a creamy and slightly chewy consistency.
It perfectly absorbs flavors, so it is a suitable accompaniment to various sauces.
Whole seeds are used to cook porridge or side dishes for main courses, but also as protein shakes.
Get inspired by our recipes!
Basic quinoa recipe
If you are going to cook this delicacy for the first time, you probably don’t know how to do it. We will advise you. It’s extremely simple. This universal guide will suffice. You can cook all kinds of quinoa according to it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- about ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under running water for at least 30 seconds to get rid of the bitterness.
- Put it together with water in a pot and let it boil for about 10-20 minutes.
- The speed of cooking quinoa depends on the size of the seeds (it is done as soon as the liquid evaporates and the raw material remains soft).
- After cooking, leave it under the lid for another 5 minutes to swell.
- Then add salt and mix.
If you want to make quinoa for several days without having to cook it again, it will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
What types can you choose from?
White, red and black.
Each of them has a slightly different consistency and taste. White quinoa tastes slightly bitter, has a mushy and chewy consistency. Red has a fuller flavor and chewy consistency. And the last black is more crunchy and sweeter in taste.
Quinoa salad with sun-dried tomatoes
Looking for tips for a quick and easy lunch? Quinoa recipes in the form of a salad can be used as a quick lunch or a healthy snack for work, school or on the go. It’s ideal when you’re in a hurry or don’t have the opportunity to cook.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes pickled in olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or arugula
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- salt to taste
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of red pepper
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa under running water as recommended in the basic recipe.
- Boil it together with 2 cups of water for about 15 minutes until the water evaporates.
- Then let the quinoa swell for another 5 minutes under the lid.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients.
- Fry the almonds in ¼ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the almonds and stir thoroughly, they burn quickly.
- When they start to smell and turn golden, it’s done.
- You can transfer them to a larger salad bowl.
- Add the finished quinoa to the almonds, add the dressing, chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add the spinach at the last minute before serving to prevent it from wilting.
Did you know that quinoa is rich in protein, vitamin B, iron, magnesium and folic acid?
Salad with quinoa and beetroot
Beetroot is a great ingredient that can be used to create great recipes. You can also cook this healthy and aromatic delicacy from quinoa. You can choose it as a tasty dinner, a light lunch, a charming appetizer or even a snack.
- 2 medium beets (pre-cooked)
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- a pinch of cinnamon
- a pinch of ground cloves
- a pinch of chili
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 and ½ cups arugula
- 1 avocado
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ cup chopped feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of pressed garlic
- If you don’t have pre-cooked beets, steam them. Just place a gnocchi sieve, dumpling sieve or other metal sieve in a pot of water and cook for about 20 minutes until soft. Do not peel the beets, just wash them and cut off the tough end.
- Rinse the quinoa well under running water, put it in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and let it cook for about 15 minutes until the water evaporates.
- Fry the walnuts in 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil.
- While roasting, sprinkle them with cinnamon, cloves, chili and roast for about 2-3 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion, slice the avocado and roughly chop the mint.
- Peel the boiled beetroot and cut it into slices.
- Mix arugula with cooked, salted quinoa, pile beet slices, avocado on top, sprinkle with walnuts, cheese, sunflower seeds and chopped mint.
- Drizzle with dressing before serving.
Tip: Do you have extra beetroot and don’t know how to use it? Try great beetroot smoothie recipes in 4 variants .
Tuna salad recipe with quinoa
Curious what red quinoa tastes like? A recipe for this method can help you. Quinoa salad with tuna is a fresh combination. Taste it!
- 100 g of red quinoa
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 120 g can of tuna
- 1 avocado
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of roasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
- herb salt – salt, pepper, garlic, parsley
- salad of your choice (ice cream, arugula)
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under running water.
- Measure out the amount in a cup and add cold water one at a time.
- Let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing by mixing the oil, lemon juice, wine vinegar and herb salt.
- Let the cooked quinoa cool, drain the excess liquid and mix it with the dressing.
- Add halved tomatoes, diced and drained tuna, and diced avocado.
- Sprinkle with toasted seeds.
- Serve with your favorite salad, such as arugula.
Quinoa has a low glycemic index. This means that diabetics, as well as keto diet enthusiasts, can enjoy it. In addition, it is 100% gluten-free, so it is also suitable for celiacs.
Discover similar tips
Chocolate Quinoa Cake
Quinoa recipes can be conjured up in a gluten-free version of various desserts and cakes. We have prepared this piece of chocolate for you. If you are looking for tips on sweet recipes, we recommend trying them.
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cups of sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of grated chocolate
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Quinoa, butter, egg, milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and sugar.
- Then mix both contents together, add grated chocolate and pecans (who wants).
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined cake pan.
- Bake at 175°C for about 40-45 minutes.
Breakfast quinoa porridge from flakes
Are you looking for tips for a full and healthy breakfast? Then try this great quinoa porridge. The preparation is quick, and you will also get plenty of energy with this breakfast.
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut or other milk
- ¾ cup of water
- Maple syrup
- fruit of your choice
- Pour the flakes, ground seeds, cinnamon, ¾ cup of water and ½ cup of milk into the pot, stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Stir while cooking.
- If the porridge is too thick, add a little extra water or milk.
- Serve the porridge drizzled with maple syrup, sprinkled with, for example, wild berries and garnished with a piece of mint.
Tip: Wondering what other healthy breakfasts or snacks to make? Get inspired by our oatmeal breakfast and snack recipes .
Vegetable pancakes with quinoa with a video recipe
Looking for inspiration for a quick lunch? Then we can recommend these vegetable pancakes. You might love them, they’re just that good.
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup of grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 packet of spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Italian seasoning to taste
- dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- olive oil
- Boil the quinoa with 2 cups of cold water.
- In a pan, fry the onion in olive oil until golden.
- Put the finished onion in a bowl.
- Add half the spinach to the still hot pan, it will wilt after a while so you can add the rest.
- When the onion, spinach and quinoa are lukewarm, you can add grated carrot, zucchini, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, spices, lemon juice and garlic.
- Mix everything thoroughly, shape into patties and fry in a little olive oil until golden.
Video recipe here:
Other health benefits are the absorption of harmful LDL cholesterol, support of digestion and reduction of the potential risk of colon cancer. Last but not least, quinoa helps in weight reduction.
If you love pancakes, try our potato pancakes in different ways .
Tip: You can achieve comfortable frying with a high-quality steel pan .
Banana bread made from quinoa flour
Have you ever baked with quinoa flour? It is a great gluten-free option. Do you love banana desserts? Then you’ve found another recipe for inspiration. Plus he’s vegan.
- 100 g of quinoa flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 large ripe banana
- 100 g cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 orange
- Grease the mold for the bishop’s sandwich with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Mix the flour and baking powder.
- Blend the banana and sugar with a blender until smooth.
- Grate the orange peel and add to the dough along with its juice.
- Mix all the ingredients together and put them in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 180°C for about 40-45 minutes.
Tip: Looking for more banana recipe inspiration? Taste sweet banana desserts . Whether you make them for coffee or for a visit, they will fulfill their purpose.
Homemade quinoa flour
Among the quinoa recipes we can include this important procedure. You can save a few crowns a month, especially if you need a lot of flour. It is not difficult to prepare.
- 200 g of white quinoa
- Fry the quinoa in a pan to get rid of excess moisture.
- Roast until fragrant.
- Then let it cool down thoroughly.
- Blend in a blender until smooth.
- Store the flour in an airtight container.
So, are there any recipes that interest you? Quinoa seems like a pretty versatile ingredient, huh?
We hope you enjoy it. And hopefully this healthy food will make it to your home menu.