Risotto, or if you prefer risotto, everyone probably remembers our Czech version.
School cafeterias gave us the opportunity to either love him or not love him very much.
Which group do you belong to?
But watch out! There is not only our scoop risotto, but also the Italian risotto.
What is the difference between them?
Come learn more about it and get new inspiration for cooking!
Traditional Czech vegetable risotto
- 20 dkg of rice
- 1 onion
- 40 dkg of fresh mushrooms
- caraway seeds
- 3-4 green peppers
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 5 dkg of hard cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Wash the rice and cover it with boiling water in a ratio of 1:1
- Add salt, add a spoonful of butter and steam the covered rice in the oven
- Saute the chopped onion in the second spoonful of butter, add the chopped mushrooms, salt and pepper and simmer while basting occasionally.
- When the mushrooms are semi-soft, add chopped peppers and tomatoes and simmer
- Mix steamed rice with steamed mushrooms and vegetables and sprinkle with chives
Tip: This risotto is easy to make in one of the Tefal pans . You can find the best ones in our review.
- 40 dkg of mushrooms
- 2 bags of pre-cooked rice
- 4 onions
- 1 leek
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 150 ml of vegetable broth
- 15 dkg of sterilized peas
- Cook the rice according to the instructions in salted water
- Remove the bags and let them drain
- Cut the onion into rounds, the mushrooms into thicker slices, and the leek into thin rounds
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the onion together with the mushrooms, add the leek, fry for 2 minutes, pour in the broth and simmer for 8-10 minutes
- Finally, add peas, salt, pepper, mix with rice and serve
- 1 large zucchini
- half a diced cucumber
- soy sauce
- a little salt
- 1 tomato (can also be bell pepper)
- 2 bags of rice
- 150 grams of hard cheese for sprinkling
- Cut the courgette into cubes, do the same with the leek, but cut it into rounds and then further dice the pepper and cucumber
- In the meantime, let’s cook the rice
- Fry all these ingredients cut into cubes in oil, add salt, pepper and soy sauce and fry until soft, you can add a little broth or water
- Finally, mix everything together with the rice and serve immediately
Risotto from the oven
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 onion
- 2 green peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- half a bag of frozen vegetables (according to your taste)
- 30 dkg of stewed pork (can be other meat or sausage)
- Saute the onion in fat, add rice and fry. Cover with water.
- Add vegetables, meat, season with vegetables (we can also use other spices according to our taste or just salt and pepper)
- Cover with a lid and place in a heated oven at 180° and bake for about 1 hour
- Sprinkle the finished risotto with cheese and serve with a vegetable salad
Discover similar tips
Simple mushroom risotto
Let’s start off nice and light with this mushroom risotto recipe. As its name suggests, there is not much complexity to it.
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 900 g of mushrooms
- 2 shallots
- 1 and ½ cups of risotto rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chives
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- Let the broth heat up.
- Cut the mushrooms into slices and fry them in a little oil (about 3 minutes).
- Then put them aside and add another drop of oil and finely chopped shallot to the pan.
- Let it fry for a while, and then add the rice.
- Fry for a while, then pour in the wine, let it absorb into the rice, and then start pouring in the stock.
- Always add half a cup of water, wait until the broth is absorbed, and continue until the rice is soft.
- Finally, mix back the mushrooms with their juice, butter, chopped chives and Parmesan cheese.
- Add salt, pepper and serve.
Do you want more risotto recipes without meat ? Wink!
Italian risotto ala risotto bianco
Rissoto bianco or white risotto is a basic risotto with a simple vegetable base.
- 1.1 l vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 or 5 stalks of celery stalks
- olive oil
- 70 g of butter
- 400 g of rice for risotto
- 2 glasses of dry white wine
- 115 g Parmesan cheese
- Heat the broth.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and celery.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add a piece of butter and sauté the onion, garlic and celery for about 15 minutes.
- Then add the rice and fry for about a minute, pour in the wine, let it boil, and then pour in the stock, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- If the rice is not yet soft to the bite, add more stock or hot water.
- At the end, stir in the butter and grated Parmesan cheese, stir and let sit for another 2 minutes.
Here is a video recipe for risotto 4 ways. We have now described one of them:
Czech risotto with chicken
This chicken risotto recipe can make us nostalgic. Did your grandmother cook like this too?
- 50 g of butter
- 85 g of bacon
- 1 large onion
- 250 g of mushrooms
- 300 g arborio rice
- 150 ml of dry white wine
- 1.4 l of chicken broth
- 140 g of chicken (cutlets, thighs, wings)
- 50 g of grated parmesan
- fresh parsley
- edam to serve
- Boil the chicken until soft.
- Cut the bacon into cubes and dry-fry.
- As soon as it is fried until golden, and the fat is released, add the chopped onion and saute.
- Then add a little butter and sliced mushrooms and continue cooking.
- Add the rice, cook for a while, then pour in the wine and let it absorb.
- Start pouring wine in quarters.
- Always wait for the stock to evaporate before watering.
- When the rice is soft, add the butter, chopped meat, chopped parsley, Parmesan and mix.
- Let rest for a while, then serve.
Serbian red risotto
It is notable for its red color obtained by the addition of peppers and tomatoes.
- 500 g pork leg
- 200 g arborio rice
- 1 onion
- tomatoe sauce
- 2 white peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 750 ml of chicken stock
- ground paprika
- a pinch of chili
- edam for sprinkling
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil, add the diced meat and fry.
- Add the tomato puree, cook for a while, cover with broth, salt and pepper and let it simmer for about half an hour.
- Put the tomatoes in hot water for 3 minutes, peel and chop.
- Dice the peppers.
- Add the tomatoes and peppers to the meat along with the rice.
- Simmer gently.
- Finally, add the chopped parsley.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Or try this vegetable risotto. The recipe is simple. We make the base on the stove, but then move everything to the oven.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 and ½ cups arborio rice
- 1 onion
- 600 g Hokkaido pumpkin
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup dry white wine (stock or water)
- 3 and ½ cups broth (chicken)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- ½ cup parmesan
- Fry finely chopped onion and garlic in a spoonful of butter.
- Fry until translucent, then add the chopped sage.
- Add the rice and fry for a while.
- Pour in the wine and let it absorb.
- Add the stock and diced pumpkin, salt and pepper and cover with a lid or foil.
- Place in an oven heated to 180°C and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the rest of the butter and Parmesan cheese.
Oven-baked risotto is often called Serbian risotto here. However, this name does not come from Serbia, it is rather a Czech invention.
In Serbia, they cook a dish called žuvec . It is very similar to risotto, but the difference is that the basic ingredients are meat and vegetables .
In this case, rice is used only as a side dish, not as a necessary component. Rice can also be replaced with potatoes.
If you have a sweet tooth, you can certainly use rice as well. For example, in recipes with sweet rice , which we also write about.
Real Italian risotto is cooked on a vegetable base. First, the rice is fried, only then it is gradually covered with wine and stock. The flavors of all the ingredients are thus much more blended with each other. The rice used to cook risotto is mainly round-grain (arborio or carnaroli).
In Czech cuisine, risotto is usually served in a bowl, which is created by mixing rice with other ingredients. Instead of parmesan, we also tend to use edamame-type cheese for the final sprinkling. The consistency is also more sticky and less creamy than Italian risotto.
These rice delicacies are countless. Just to try to inspire you, we can present a recipe for risotto with smoked meat.
In addition to rice, healthy millet can also be used. See how millet risotto is prepared.
And finally, we will be very happy if you write to us how you liked your culinary creations.