We add spices to each soup.
However, it is added in larger quantities to some.
Today we bring you 5 delicious recipes for soups with spices that the whole family will enjoy.
So let’s do it!
Spicy tomato soup
This tomato-coconut soup full of spices is incredibly easy to prepare, perfectly creamy and luxuriously delicious. You can prepare it in less than 20 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 onion, large
- 1 carrot, large
- 500 g canned tomatoes, whole or diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Coarsely chop the onion and carrot and add to the pot.
- Roughly chop the ginger and garlic and add to the pot with the vegetables.
- Add salt and simmer covered for 3-10 minutes depending on how much time you have.
- Add the cumin, then the tinned tomatoes and the coconut milk.
- Reserve some coconut milk if you want to drizzle some on top.
- Bring the entire mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Taste and add a few pinches of salt if needed.
We have other excellent recipes for healthy soups that you will love. Which one will you try first?
Vegan red lentil curry soup
Try this amazing recipe for Curry and Red Lentil Soup with Rice. This is an easy and filling dish that is also vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk of celery
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large tomatoes (or use 1 can of tomatoes)
- 1 cup red lentils, dried
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 400 ml of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Dice 1 large onion, 2 carrots and 1 stalk of celery.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pot and add the diced vegetables.
- Saute until soft and golden.
- Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, stir, then put the vegetables to the side of the pot and add 1 tablespoon curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- Saute the spices gently until they darken, then mix them back in with the vegetables.
- Now add 2 large diced tomatoes to the pot (or use 1 can of tomatoes).
- Stir and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Now also add 1 cup of the red lentils that you rinsed under running water to the pot and cover with 3 cups of vegetable stock and half of the coconut milk.
- Also add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook on low heat for about 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and soft.
- Then remove half of the soup from the pot and blend until smooth.
- Return to pot.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with cooked rice (use long grain, basmati or jasmine rice) or garlic naan.
You may also find our reviews of gas stoves useful. Who won in our comparison?
Discover similar tips
Our grandmothers often cooked this delicacy for several reasons. The soup is quick, delicious and smells amazing of cumin. It would be a shame to forget this great recipe!
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil or lard
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth or water
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- a sprig of parsley for garnish
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the cumin and stir for about 1 minute until the cumin aroma develops.
- Pour in the flour and mix for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add one scoop of chicken stock.
- Mix carefully with a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Add another ladleful of stock, whisk.
- Now you can add the rest of the liquid.
- Salt, pepper and mix well.
- Return the pot to the stove and carefully add the diced potatoes.
- Increase the heat and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir from time to time as the flour tends to sink to the bottom of the pot where it could start to burn.
- Finally, remove the pot from the stove, crack one whole egg into the soup and beat it.
- Do not cook the soup any further.
- Add salt to taste, mix and serve.
Moroccan harira soup
Harira is a traditional Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup with fresh herbs and lots of spices. Serve with lemon wedges and warm pita bread.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 800 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 400 g canned chickpeas
- 7 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup long grain rice
- lemon wedges for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot.
- Season with salt.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and spices and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cilantro, lentils (both green and red) and chickpeas.
- Also add a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and increase heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until the beans are fully cooked and very soft (check occasionally and add more stock or water).
- Stir in the rice and cook for another 15 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Get inspired by our other recipes for red lentil soups . We have 5 novel variants for you!
Anti-inflammatory chicken soup with ginger
The combination of chicken breast with healthy vegetables, ginger and aromatic spices including curative turmeric will excite you! The soup is filling, incredibly healthy and you should definitely include it in your diet.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of ginger, chopped
- 9 – 10 cups of chicken stock
- 1 kg chicken breast, cut into 5 cm cubes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, then the chopped onion, carrot, celery stalk and cabbage.
- Cook until slightly softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices – salt, pepper, turmeric, onion powder, rosemary and thyme.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and add to the pot.
- Cook until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and let cool slightly.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add back to the pot along with the frozen peas.
- Continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Taste and serve with freshly ground black pepper.
We have prepared a detailed article about ginger for you. Ginger helps against nausea and flu. What foods and drinks does this pungent spice go well with? What compounds give it its characteristic pungent taste? How to bake and cook with ginger? You will learn all this and much more with us!
What is your favorite soup with spices? Share the recipe with your friends on Facebook!