Fish spreads are among the favorites and are prepared in most households.
But do you know the one with coriander, lime juice and olives?
Or with roasted garlic, capers, chili and fresh herbs?
If not, but you want to try something new, then check out our recipes for sardine spreads 6 different ways.
Paleo Sardine Dip
A healthy and tasty paleo spread made of sardines, cucumbers and red peppers will enrich your menu and you can easily prepare a light dinner.
- 120 g can of sardines in olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 small lemon
- Piri piri (or other hot sauce), to taste
- Remove the sardines from the can and place in a small bowl.
- Drizzle with one tablespoon of sardine olive oil.
- Mash the fish with a fork.
- Gently stir in the cucumbers, red pepper and spring onion.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon into the mixture and add hot sauce to taste.
- Serve with cucumber slices and plantain chips.
Brazilian sardine pate
Delicious sardine pate with olives and coriander will be a hit on your table and your guests will surely appreciate it! It’s simple and you can prepare it playfully in no time.
- 100 g can of sardines in oil, drained
- 10 olives, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- chives and coriander to taste, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove the sardines from the can.
- Using a small, sharp knife, carefully open each to expose the spine.
- Remove and discard all bones.
- You can also use whole sardines if you want, the choice is yours.
- Transfer the sardines to a medium bowl and mash with a fork into a smooth paste.
- Add the chopped onion, olives, chopped chives and cilantro and mix well.
- Next, add the lime juice, mayonnaise and olive oil and mix well until the pate is smooth.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste, give a final stir and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
- Chill for about an hour in the fridge and serve cold – it tastes divine!
- Don’t forget to cover the serving bowl with cling film.
- Serve the pate on toast or on a sandwich.
Also try our recipes for fish fillets in 5 ways. They are delicious and you will surely enjoy them!
Mediterranean sardine spread
A delicious sardine dip with roasted garlic, capers, chilli and fresh herbs is a great light dinner or treat for your guests. With us, you can easily prepare it in no time.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 tins of sardines in oil (100 g each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of drained capers
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh dill
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut off the top of the garlic to expose the cloves and place it on a small piece of tin foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and wrap the garlic in foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes until soft.
- Cool and then press the garlic cloves into a food processor.
- Discard the garlic skin.
- Add the sardines (including the oil in the can), lemon juice, capers, red chilli flakes and salt to the food processor.
- Blend to a coarse paste, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the parsley and dill and pulse until combined.
- Enjoy your meal!
Discover similar tips
Sardine pate with sun-dried tomatoes
This simple pâté made from sardines will also be enjoyed by those who are not particularly fond of canned fish. The recipe takes 10 minutes, contains only 5 key ingredients and is also very healthy and nutritious.
- 120 g can of sardines
- 4 halves of sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion or red onion
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or Sriracha (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with crusty bread, chopped vegetables, low-fat or paleo crackers, or use in a salad.
Also get inspired by our recipes for 7 easy leek spreads that everyone can handle.
Smoked sardine spread
The combination of sardines, mayonnaise and smoked paprika creates a delicious creamy spread full of protein and omega-3. Enjoy it!
- 120 g can of sardines in their own juice and water, drained
- 2 spoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Enjoy your meal!
Sardine spread with cheese and chives
This dip is one of the easiest appetizers you can make and will always be well received. Perfect for impromptu get-togethers because it’s very quick to make and just add some crackers or veggie sticks and you’re done.
- can of sardines in olive oil, drained
- 100 g of cream cheese
- 1/2 shallot
- spoon of lemon juice
- spoon of olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Mix the shallots, cream cheese, lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt and ground pepper.
- Add the sardines and mix everything with a fork.
- Season to taste and add chopped chives.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Also prepare our recipes for homemade meat spreads in 7 luxurious designs.
What sardines to buy?
The cheapest, most convenient and most available form of sardines is canned . You can get them boneless without skin, in their own juice, in various oils, smoked, with tomato or other sauce. Unopened cans stored in a cool, dark chamber or cupboard will last up to 1 year . After opening, store sardines in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
If you have a reliable source for buying whole sardines , then choose only those that have clear eyes (no redness), clear gills, firm flesh and a subtle fresh marine scent (no strong “fishy” smell). You can then ask the seller to gut and debone the sardines. Sardine fillets or whole fish are best prepared the same day you buy them , but can be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
Good quality frozen sardines should be hard and shiny. They last up to 6 months in the freezer.
And how did you like the sardine spreads? Write to us in the comments!