Spreads are a great way to introduce healthy ingredients to children without talking.
On nicely decorated and cut toasted bread, you can also sneak in less popular ingredients such as legumes or vegetables.
And what recipes for spreads for children do we have for you?
Look forward to the cheese, avocado or cottage cheese version.
Let your children enjoy it too!
Cheese spread with garlic and herbs
This spread is earthy and rich, but doesn’t leave you feeling heavy. In addition, it is a great way to introduce the not always popular cauliflower to children.
- 230 g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- crackers or toast (to serve)
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Add the parsley and chives and stir a few times until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl or glass container.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or toast.
We have other best recipes for cheese spreads for you! Create a simple but tasty snack or dinner.
Egg salad for children
Egg salad sandwiches always taste so good! They are very easy to prepare and you can also use them as a quick lunch or a snack on the go.
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 pickled cucumber, finely chopped
- 3 spoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 4 slices of bread
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
- Toast the bread until golden brown as needed.
- Spread salad on 2 slices of bread and cover with remaining slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- Enjoy your meal!
Healthy homemade nutella
Try this simple and delicious homemade nutella recipe that your little ones will love!
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven.
- To remove the skins from the nuts, place them in the fold of a kitchen towel and gently massage them until most of the skins are removed.
- Place the shelled hazelnuts in a food processor and process to a smooth cream, which may take about 8-10 minutes.
- Don’t forget to scrape the sides a few times.
- Add remaining ingredients and process again until smooth.
- This may take several minutes.
- If the nutella is too thick, add a little coconut milk.
- Store in an airtight glass container for about a week.
You may also find our reviews of kitchen scales useful. Who won in our comparison?
Cheese spread with chives
Simple and easy on ingredients! This is the following cottage cheese spread. In addition, it is also suitable for children, who will surely like it.
- 200 g of cottage cheese
- 100 g of butter
- 40 g of hard cheese
- a coarser bunch of chives
- white pepper
- Rub the butter with cottage cheese, add finely grated hard cheese, chopped chives and season with salt and white pepper.
- Enjoy your meal!
Would you like our other perfect recipes for cottage cheese spread ? Once you taste it, you won’t be able to resist!
Discover similar tips
Cucumber tzatziki with tomatoes
Even your children will appreciate Greek tzatziki! This spread is wonderfully refreshing and healthy. In addition, the tomato slices make a great color addition here.
- 3 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 salad cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 large tomato, quartered, then thinly sliced
- Place a strainer over a large bowl.
- Pour the yogurt into a strainer lined with a fine cloth; let stand for 3 hours at room temperature (the liquid will drain and the yogurt will thicken).
- Transfer the yogurt to a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grate the cucumber.
- Place it in another strainer; let stand at room temperature until most of the liquid has drained, about 3 hours.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the cucumber.
- Mix the cucumber, dill and garlic into the yogurt.
- Finally, stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and serve.
Pea and avocado spread
This vibrant green spread has the sweet, refreshing taste of green peas combined with creamy avocado. Not only is it super healthy, but it’s also super versatile! Use it as a dip for your favorite vegetables, add a dollop to salads or spread it on a sandwich.
- 2 cups green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 small avocado, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons spring onions or chives, finely chopped
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- extra spring onion or chives, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Blend the green peas, avocado, spring onion, lime juice, salt and black pepper in a food processor.
- Process until everything is well combined.
- Enjoy it!
Try our healthy avocado recipes , sweet and savory. They are delicious!
Try a tastier, more colorful and healthier variation of the traditional chickpea hummus. This recipe also includes carrots to give it a little sweetness and extra nutrients.
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, pressed
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place the carrots in a small pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes (until tender)
- Drain the carrots and leave to cool.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy it!
Healthy tuna salad
This simple and healthy tuna salad goes great with raw vegetables or crackers, but you can also spread it on toast. It’s made with Greek yogurt, so it’s much healthier than the traditional mayo version.
- 1 can (185g) of tuna in its own juice, drained
- 1/4 cup (65 g) Greek yogurt
- 1 small spring onion, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Serve with raw vegetables, crackers or on toast.
We have other recipes for fish spreads for you. They are dietary, healthy and simply divine. Get inspired!
How to choose ingredients for spreads for children?
- Cottage cheese is popular and at the same time suitable for the base, similar to cheese .
- The spread can also be prepared from the vegetables themselves or from milder types of heat-treated meat or from egg yolks .
- Salt very lightly and leave out spices if possible , such as seasonings such as mustard or ketchup.
- If necessary, season with lemon juice .
- If we want to soften the spread, we use a little sweet or sour cream or yogurt and thus avoid using mayonnaise.
- We also handle sausages very carefully .
- We also leave out onion or garlic , especially for smaller children, and add chopped chives, onion rings or watercress leaves to the spread.
- Individual ingredients can be combined with each other, we always try to supplement the spread with some fresh vegetables or fruit .
Which children’s spread is the best for you? Show off in the comments section below the article!