This kitchen piece certainly already belongs to many households. It is a kind of indispensable helper in the kitchen.
Steamer recipes are very easy to prepare! The food is healthier, tastier and more colorful than if you fried it in oil, for example.
Many dishes, from soups to stewed vegetables to boiled meat, allow us to cook them in steam.
Let’s take a look at some of them. You will definitely like them.
Potatoes in a steamer
Is there an easier and tastier side dish than potatoes with butter? Definitely not for me!
- 500g new small potatoes
- 300 ml of lukewarm water
- spoon of butter
- a handful of fresh parsley or dill
- Pour the water into the steaming container of the steamer.
- Rinse the potatoes, leaving the skin on.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer and lightly salt them.
- Close the steamer with the lid and turn it on.
- Steam the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, constantly testing their softness.
- When the potatoes are soft, remove them from the steamer into a bowl.
- Then add a spoonful of butter along with parsley or dill, mix and you can serve it as a tasty side dish.
Pasta with homemade pesto
Pasta can always be prepared in several different ways. Let’s take a look at the unique preparation of pasta from a steamer.
- 500g of penne pasta
- 500ml of lukewarm water
- salt pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves of peeled garlic
- 3 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- cherry tomatoes
- Fill a steamer with pasta water to about 2 inches from the top.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil.
- Place the pasta in the steamer and then place in the steamer.
- Cook the pasta for the appropriate amount of time until it is soft to the bite.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto.
- Combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan in a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Start mixing while slowly adding the olive oil until the mixture is well blended.
- When the pasta is already soft, remove the pot from the stove and simply remove the finished pasta.
- Finally, mix the pasta with the pesto and add the chopped cherry tomatoes.
China from the steamer
Don’t be afraid to experiment. Try the distinct flavors of the East found in Chinese dishes.
- 4 slices of chicken breast
- 1/2 bag Chinese mix (vegetable, frozen)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of rice
- Chinese spices
- soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of solamyl
- lukewarm water
- Dry the meat, salt it, cut it into strips and put it in a cooking bowl.
- You add the Chinese vegetable mixture.
- Season everything with Chinese spices, sprinkle with solamyl, drizzle with soy sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Place the bowl with vegetables and meat in the first container of the steamer, as close as possible to the water.
- Place a bowl with salted water and rice in the second layer of the steamer.
- Turn the pot on and let it cook until the meat and rice are done, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- If the food is ready after the set time, you can serve.
Discover similar tips
Chicken with rice in a steamer
Let yourself be carried away by the taste of the slightly hot sauce in combination with the chicken and the unusual taste of the rice. Go for it!
- 2 pieces of chicken breast fillets, skinless
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
- 1 leek
- 1 tablespoon of chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 300g of rice
- 360 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- a pinch of red chili pepper or chopped slices of fresh chili pepper
- Rinse the rice under water and place it in a bowl on the upper floor of the steamer along with the salted water.
- Add crushed garlic cloves, crushed ginger, chicken broth to the rice and mix well.
- Place the chicken in the lower layer of the steamer, or you can put it on top of the rice if you don’t have a multi-tiered steamer.
- Place the sliced leeks on top of the chicken.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes until the chicken and rice are done and tender.
- For the sauce, combine the leeks, sugar, oil, grated garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli in a bowl. Mix everything well.
- When both the rice and chicken are done, remove everything from the steamer.
- Stir the rice well once more to fluff it up and prepare it on a plate.
- Cut the chicken slices and also put them on a plate.
- Finally, pour chili sauce over the meat.
Vegetable soup in a steamer
It is easy to prepare and easy to eat right away. Try to prepare a tasty and simple vegetable soup from a steamer.
- 1 head of celery
- 2 small onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 2 medium-sized parsley
- cauliflower – a handful of roses
- 1 and 1/2 liters of water
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Bay leaf
- salt pepper
- sprig of parsley
- Clean all the vegetables. Leave the onion whole.
- Cut the celery, carrot and parsley into small cubes.
- Heat the butter in a steamer and lightly fry the chopped vegetables.
- You add cauliflower, onion and cover the vegetables with water.
- Salt and pepper everything, add a bay leaf and a few balls of allspice.
- Boil the soup in a closed steam pot for approximately 15 minutes.
- Finally, add crushed garlic to the soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the vegetable soup from the steamer with chopped parsley.
Would you like to bite into a piece of good pastry with your soup? Try making homemade white buns, rolls and baguettes.
Salmon with vegetables in a steamer
Food that retains all vitamins, nutrients and its natural taste. You can cook for as many people as you want and adjust the quantity accordingly.
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 leek
- 300g of broccoli
- 600g salmon (ready to cook, skinless)
- salt pepper
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 200 ml of vegetable broth
- 100 ml of water
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Peel the carrot, split lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Rinse and dry the celery, cut diagonally into slices.
- Rinse the leek and cut lengthwise into strips.
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into florets.
- Rinse the salmon and pat dry, divide into 4 equal portions.
- Season with salt, pepper and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Mix vegetable broth with water and bring to a boil.
- In the steamer, put the vegetables in the first bowl, and place the salmon in the second.
- Let it cook for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- When the vegetables are soft and the salmon is cooked, we can sprinkle the salmon with chopped parsley and serve.
If you are interested in the topic of steam cooking, check out our review of electric steamers for more information.
Why cook in a steamer?
The main positive of steam cooking is the preservation of nutrients in food, in contrast to other thermal treatments of food, such as cooking, baking or frying, during which almost most of the valuable substances are destroyed.
Steam cooking enables gentle and practical food preparation. The easiest way to try it is with a pot and a steamer.
Steam cooking is the healthiest way of cooking, because no fat is used, the taste of the individual ingredients stands out. Therefore, choose the best ingredients and at the end just lightly season them with salt, pepper, spices or herbs.
And what can a steamer do?
- cook eggs and rice
- reheat food
- cook pudding
- scald the tomatoes
- cook baby food
- steam (and cook) the dumplings
- prepare basic soups