Are you cabbage lovers, but are you running out of ideas on how to prepare this delicacy?
Then try our irresistible cabbage roll recipes!
We have options for you with meat, vegan, European or even Asian.
Try them all and you won’t regret it!
Hungarian cabbage rolls
These delicious rolls made of minced and smoked meat, sauerkraut and fresh cabbage and rice are a great dinner or lunch that your whole family will enjoy and want to add more.
- 1/4 cup rice, rinsed and drained
- 500 g of lean minced pork
- 250 g of ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 spoons of paprika
- 1 head of cabbage (about 2 kg)
- 1 kg of sauerkraut, drained or rinsed if you like
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 250 g cooked or raw smoked neck, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cook rice in 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the minced meat, garlic, half of the chopped onion, egg, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of paprika and rice.
- Set aside.
- Remove the core from the cabbage.
- Place the whole head in a large pot filled with boiling water.
- Cover and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Allow the leaves to cool slightly and carefully cut off the thick stem in the middle.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture on top of the cabbage leaf.
- Roll the leaf away from you so that the meat is covered and part of the leaf remains unfolded.
- Turn the right side of the sheet to the middle, then turn the left side as well.
- Roll away from you once more to form a roll.
- Repeat with the other 17 sheets or until the meat mixture is used up.
- Finely chop the remaining leaves and set aside.
- Place the sauerkraut in a large ovenproof pot, pour the tomato juice over it, then add the collard greens and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and stack the rolls on top.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Place the rack in the center of the oven and heat to 175 degrees.
- Melt the lard in a pan.
- Add the flour and the remaining chopped onion to make a roux.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in a spoonful of paprika and a cup of cold water and stir until smooth.
- Remove the rolls from the casserole to a warm plate.
- Take a ladle of sauerkraut stock and whisk it into the roux.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture boils, remove it from the heat and return the rolls to the bowl.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix some of the juice from the dish with sour cream and pour over the rolls before serving.
Vegan cabbage rolls filled with brown rice and nuts
A magical recipe that will conquer your taste buds and is also so healthy and easy to prepare! The combination of cabbage, brown rice, celery stalks, walnuts and fresh herbs is simply unique.
- 2 and ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large cabbage, cored
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup chopped celery stalks
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh chopped mint
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- paprika for sprinkling
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Carefully peel 12 large leaves from the cabbage.
- Boil the leaves for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove immediately and spread out on towels to dry.
- Heat ⅓ cup vegetable stock in a large saucepan.
- Saute the shallots and celeriac until softened and about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and walnuts and sauté for another minute.
- Add salt and ground black pepper.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and stir.
- Add fresh herbs.
- Remove from the stove.
- Taste the mixture and add seasoning if necessary.
- Mix 3 cups crushed tomatoes with cane sugar and red chili flakes.
- Make sure the sugar has dissolved.
- Add two cups of sauce to the bottom of a 23 x 23 cm baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Put the cabbage leaf on a cutting board.
- Spoon some of the filling over it, about ¼ to ⅓ cup per sheet.
- Wrap the sheet in a small package so that the filling cannot fall out.
- Pin the top with a toothpick.
- Add to baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining leaves and mixture.
- Pour over some of the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika if desired.
Discover similar tips
Stuffed cabbage leaves with tomato sauce
Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef and rice, baked with homemade tomato sauce, are a popular dish that we have perfected for you. Enjoy it!
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, pressed
- 800 g of crushed tomatoes
- 425 ml tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
For cabbage rolls:
- 500 g of ground beef
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 head of cabbage
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Stir in the cane sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Immerse a head of cabbage in boiling water.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the leaves are pliable.
- Peel 12 large leaves from the head.
- Place the ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of parsley, and the egg in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
- Mix it up.
- Place each cabbage leaf on a flat surface.
- Use a small knife to cut a V-shaped notch to remove the thick part of the cabbage rib.
- Shape 1/3 cup of the meat mixture into a roll and place in the center of the cabbage leaf.
- Wrap the leaf around the meat mixture.
- Repeat with remaining meat and leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Put 1/2 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add cabbage rolls, seam side down.
- Pour over the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and serve.
Are you expecting a visitor and want to prepare some unusual snacks? Try our recipes for pork rolls in 5 different variants!
Chinese cabbage leaf rolls with meat and rice
Lovers of Asian cuisine will absolutely enjoy this recipe! Spiced cabbage rolls filled with rice, minced pork, coriander and soy sauce are an absolute delicacy that you shouldn’t miss.
- 500 grams of minced pork shoulder
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 4 spoons of cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 cm of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 spring onions (white part finely chopped, green part sliced)
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander leaves
- 2 spoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- roasted white sesame seeds
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Divide the Chinese cabbage into separate leaves and save the biggest and most beautiful ones.
- For each leaf, tap the hardest part with a mallet or cut a part from it to make it thinner.
- Blanch each leaf in boiling water for a minute to make it softer and more flexible.
- Dry off.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling: ground pork, rice, eggs, garlic, ginger, chilli, spring onion (both parts), coriander leaves, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of the filling on the bottom of the cabbage leaf.
- Fold both sides to the center and roll the sheet from the bottom up.
- Continue with the remaining leaves.
- Heat a few centimeters of water in a saucepan.
- Place all your stuffed leaves in a bamboo steamer lined with parchment paper.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice and your favorite sauce.
Taste the magic of Vietnamese cuisine and be inspired by our recipes for spring rolls , which are absolutely irresistible!
Sarma – Bosnian cabbage rolls
Spicy Balkan cabbage rolls filled with ground beef, rice and caramelized onions are absolutely irresistible. You can easily prepare them too!
- 1 medium head of sauerkraut (see recipe below)
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 500 g of lean ground beef
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Herb or salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g of smoked meat
- Prepare the sauerkraut.
- Half fill a large pot with water, add 2 cups vinegar, ½ cup salt and bring to a boil.
- Get rid of large, damaged leaves from the head.
- Cut the core out of the cabbage with a sharp knife.
- Carefully submerge the head in the boiling water and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the leaves are tender.
- Gently separate each leaf from the head, being careful not to tear, rinse and place in a large bowl.
- Using a knife, remove the thickest part of the rib from each leaf and set the leaves aside.
- Cut or chop small and damaged leaves.
- Spread half of the cut leaves in the bottom of a large pot.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Transfer the onion and oil to a large bowl.
- Add minced meat, ½ cup rice, 2 chopped garlic cloves, teaspoon sweet pepper, teaspoon chopped parsley, teaspoon nutmeg, teaspoon pepper, and teaspoon Vegetation or salt.
- Mix gently with your hands and set aside.
- Place one leaf, ribbed side down, in the palm of your hand.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture on the edge of each sheet, fold the sides to the center and roll away from each other.
- Repeat until all the filling is used up.
- Layer the rolls seam side down and close together.
- Cut the smoked meat into pieces and place on the rolls.
- Spread the remaining chopped cabbage leaves on top.
- Add the bay leaves, fill with enough water to just cover the rolls.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Enjoy your meal!
Try the traditional rolls with minced meat . You will not regret!
And how did the cabbage rolls turn out for you? Write to us in the comments!