Looking for grilled chicken recipes to get you ready for the new grilling season?
Feel free to get inspired in our article and enjoy our selected delicacies.
Chicken is an excellent meat in its own right, and if you take care in preparing it, you will see how much you enjoy it.
Classic grilled chicken
When chicken is grilled, it tastes even better than from the oven. What’s great about this recipe is that it rubs the chicken with a mixture of lemon juice, rosemary and garlic, which can tantalize the taste buds. Also take a look at the best roast chicken recipes in one place and try to compare the taste of the oven with the grilled meat.
- 6 liters of cold water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 chicken (approx. 1,500 g – 2,000 g)
- 1/2 chemically untreated lemon
- 2 tablespoons of rosemary leaves
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- We will prepare a pot or bowl with a volume of 8 liters or more.
- Pour water into it, add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken, cover and store in the fridge for 24 hours.
- The next day, we first heat up the grill (gas, charcoal, whatever we have).
- Add sliced lemon, chopped rosemary, pressed garlic, olive oil and pepper to the bowl of the food processor.
- Turn on the highest setting and mix thoroughly.
- We will get a soft mushy mixture, which we will put aside for now.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and rinse under running cold water.
- Then dry thoroughly with kitchen paper towels.
- Place on a tray and coat all sides with the prepared lemon mixture.
- Let the chicken prepared in this way rest on the tray for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, our grill was heating up, so it was time to place the chicken right in the center of the grill.
- Let it grill for 7-8 minutes and then turn to the other side, where we grill again for up to 8 minutes.
- Then we move the chicken to a cooler part of the grill and close the lid.
- We grill for about 60-90 minutes, and after an hour we check the temperature of the meat with a thermometer.
- Finally, remove the chicken from the grill to a serving plate and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- We serve with mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, grilled vegetables or just with a vegetable salad.
Chicken on herbs
Herbs are indispensable in gastronomy. We can conjure up an incredible taste and aroma with them, which makes even ordinary meat super meat. When combined with chicken, the result is tender, dietary and absolutely delicious.
- 8 medium-sized shallots
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chicken (1500g)
- Chop the rosemary and garlic, finely chop the onion and parsley and set aside for now.
- We will prepare a grill, ideally if we have one that burns charcoal.
- Let’s heat it up and start preparing the meat.
- Mix all the listed ingredients in a bowl to make a smooth mixture.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and put it in the cavity of the chicken.
- Carefully spread the remaining mixture all over the chicken.
- We place it on the grill, breast side up, so that it is placed on the medium baking part of the grate.
- Close the lid and bake for approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes, turning the chicken breasts over halfway through cooking.
- Serve the finished chicken immediately. As a side dish, there are super grilled vegetables or fries.
Steamed arugula with grilled chicken
Grilled chicken has a very specific taste. If you also prepare it with a suitable side dish, it can’t happen that you don’t like it. In this recipe, fresh arugula will perfectly complement the chicken.
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1 chicken weighing approx. 1,500 g
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 package of fresh arugula
- 1 bottle of pickled pearl onions
- First, heat up the charcoal grill thoroughly.
- As soon as the coal has a white color on the outside, we divide it into two parts and pile each half on one side of the grill so that the center is empty.
- Divide the rosemary sprigs between the two piles of coal.
- Salt and pepper the chicken on all sides, including the inside.
- Place the seasoned chicken in the center of the grill, breast side up.
- Close the grill and let the meat grill for about 50 minutes.
- Then transfer the chicken to a serving plate and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put oil in a pan, heat it on a low heat and throw in the arugula.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until the arugula wilts. It takes about a minute.
- Season with salt, pepper, stir for the last time and then immediately divide onto plates.
- Add the finished chicken and serve with pickled onions.
- Some people also make fries, but they are not necessary.
Discover similar tips
Grilled chicken with barbecue sauce
If there is a popular sauce that should not be missing in any kitchen, then it is definitely barbecue. It has its own specific and completely unmistakable taste and aroma. In combination with chicken, it is absolutely great.
- 1 whole chicken (1,400 to 1,600 g)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of classic barbecue sauce
- We start by heating the grill and preparing it for the so-called indirect grilling.
- Spread the heated coals to the sides to create a less hot spot in the center of the grill.
- Rinse the chicken from all sides and inside and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper towels.
- Season with salt, pepper and place the breasts in the middle of the grate, breast side up.
- Close the lid and let it grill for about 1 and a half hours.
- About halfway through cooking, turn the chicken over and grill the other side.
- The main thing is to keep the grill hot enough all the time, so we add a few handfuls of charcoal during the grilling process.
- About 15 minutes before the end of cooking, open the grill again and brush the chicken with barbecue sauce on both sides.
- Then close the lid and let it grill for the remaining 15 minutes.
- It is important that the meat in the thickest part of the thigh has a temperature of 160°C.
- When the chicken is ready, take it off the grill, cover it with foil and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
- Then we can serve it.
Succulent Mediterranean style chicken
Mediterranean cuisine is very popular, and when we prepare chicken on the grill in its spirit, we will lick all ten, and we will want to add several more. The recipe contains several types of excellent spices with which you can conjure up perfect appetizers.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and peel from 2 chemically untreated lemons
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy, you can add a whole teaspoon)
- 14 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 1,600 g – 2,000 g)
- We start by taking a pair of poultry shears, placing the chicken breast down and cutting out the entire length of the backbone.
- Turn the chicken over and press hard on the breast so that it expands as much as possible and thus reduces its height.
- We also remove the tips of the wings using scissors.
- Dry with kitchen paper towels and salt thoroughly.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, spices and crushed garlic cloves to a bowl.
- Mix the marinade and apply it under the skin and on the surface of the chicken.
- Take a large bowl, put the chicken in it and pour the rest of the marinade over it.
- Preheat the grill and lightly coat the grate with oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill, close the lid and let it grill for about 1 hour.
- Check the meat regularly during baking and turn it as needed so that it grills evenly.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
How to properly grill chicken?
An ideal and quick way to prepare a whole chicken is on the grill. If the dish is to be successful, it is necessary to devote real care to the preparation, as well as properly storing the meat or choosing the right spices. How to do it?
Meat storage and hygiene
If there’s any meat that goes bad really quickly, it’s definitely chicken. It is a good idea to place the package of meat in a plastic bag and put it in a place where it will not touch other food.
Whenever we prepare chicken, we must wash the cutting boards/cutting boards, knives, all use of dishes and the worktop as thoroughly as possible.
The same goes for serving. We must never use the same plate where the chicken was previously in raw form.
We definitely cannot cut vegetables and others with the same knife we used to cut chicken before. It is also essential to thoroughly wash your hands in warm, soapy water, both before and after preparing the meat.
The meat must be completely thawed, it is never good to grill partially or completely thawed meat. The reason is that the meat in such a condition cannot be cooked properly and at the same time, unwanted harmful bacteria will not be eliminated.
The marinade is important
If we marinate the meat, we have to leave it in the fridge. If we are going to apply the marinade only when the meat is on the grill, it is definitely necessary to leave it in the refrigerator until we rub the meat with it.
The brush or bow that touches the chicken must be washed as thoroughly as possible in warm water with a cleaning agent.
Preparing the grill
It is essential to have a properly heated grill. If this is not the case, then the chicken will easily stick to the grate. This is not a risk when using a marinade or smearing the grid/grating with oil. At the same time, placing meat on a hot grill will ensure that it turns more easily.
What else is good to watch out for?
- Closing the grill lid.
- Marinades turn black quickly, so it is necessary to keep an eye on the meat during grilling.
- It is important to use grilling tools to avoid burning your fingers.
- Everyone should get a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
- Whenever we finish grilling, we must scrape the grill grate and, if possible, clean the entire grill.