White wheat flour is becoming the bogeyman of our time.
Some experts condemn it, others tolerate it.
We will leave the controversy to the professionals and prefer to present you with alternatives to classic baking.
We have 6 excellent recipes for doughnuts without wheat flour for you!
Fire up the oven, get your kitchen scale ready and come try one of them with us.
Gingerbread from rye flour
Christmas is slowly but surely approaching and our kitchens will soon smell of Christmas cookies. Try this healthier version of honey gingerbread that the whole family will enjoy! We recommend baking them in advance so that they have time to soften by Christmas.
- 400 g of whole grain rye flour
- 4 eggs
- 150 g of butter
- 100 g of honey
- 130 g cane sugar
- 90 g ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of gingerbread spice
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Process all the ingredients in a large bowl into a compact dough.
- Make a ball out of the dough, wrap it in cling film and let it rest in a cool place, preferably until the next day.
- The next day, work the dough with your hands, roll it out, cut it with cutters and place it on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake the gingerbread in a preheated oven at 165-175 °C and bake until golden for 10-12 minutes.
We also have the best recipes for gluten-free cookies for you, or you can even do it without classic flour!
This cake is healthy, just sweet and full of fresh lemon flavor. Serve it simply sprinkled with powdered sugar or add strawberries or other fresh fruit that goes well with the lemon notes of the pastry.
- butter or oil spray to degrease the mold
- 4 large eggs
- 2 medium lemons
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- icing sugar and fresh strawberries (optional)
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Line the bottom of a 20 or 23 cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Coat the paper and sides of the pan well with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Crack and separate 4 large eggs, place the whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or place in a medium bowl and use an electric hand mixer or a heavy-duty whisk) and the yolks in a large bowl.
- Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons to yield 2 tablespoons and add to the bowl with the egg yolks.
- Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and mix with a wooden spoon or sturdy rubber spatula until well combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups almond flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Mix until the almond flour is moistened and the mixture comes together.
- Beat egg whites on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes (about 5 minutes by hand).
- Mix 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it.
- Then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Do not mix the dough.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared form and gently spread it into an even layer.
- Bake until the edges of the cake begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, the top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- To serve, run a knife around the cake to loosen it.
- Release the sides of the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with powdered sugar and possibly with fresh fruit.
You may also find our reviews of built-in pipes useful. Who won our test?
Gluten-free corn flour bun
Enjoy this Fluffy Gluten Free Corn Bun that is gluten free! It is incredibly easy to prepare, you only need a few ingredients and everyone will enjoy it.
- 2 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and ½ cups of yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ghee, butter, or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 medium grated zucchini (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius and line a 20×20 baking tin with baking paper or grease it liberally.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, honey, ghee, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- If you are adding zucchini, grate it, wrap it in a tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Mix into the batter.
- Pour the dough into the prepared form.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the bun is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If you want a bun with a nice, shiny top, brush it with butter or ghee when it’s fresh out of the oven.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 16 squares.
- You can serve with butter and more honey.
Discover similar tips
Healthy oatmeal cookies
You only need 3 ingredients for these tasty cookies and the dough is ready in 5 minutes! They do not contain white flour, butter, eggs or refined sugar, so even allergy sufferers can enjoy them.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Line a large tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Mix with a spatula until the ingredients are evenly combined and a cookie dough is formed.
- If you prefer sweeter cookies, you can add 1 more tablespoon of syrup.
- Using an ice cream scoop with a volume of 1.5 spoons, scoop balls from the dough, which are placed on the prepared baking sheet at a distance of 5 cm from each other.
- Use your palm to flatten the balls into thick discs.
- If you like, you can use a fork to make a cross pattern on the surface of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for about 11-13 minutes, or until puffed with small cracks on top.
- The surface of the cookies should look dry.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.
Get inspired by our gluten-free recipes . We have sweet and salty options for you!
Italian buckwheat slices with jam
Prepare this simple buckwheat bun without gluten and eggs. It is filled with fruit jam, so it is guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- 350 g of Greek yogurt
- 120 g of peanut (or sunflower) oil
- 120 g of coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 280 g of buckwheat flour
- 16 g of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- jam from forest fruits, for filling
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 23cm square baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut sugar together with the yogurt, oil, vanilla extract and milk.
- In another bowl, mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt, then add to the wet ingredients, adding a little more milk if the batter is too thick.
- Mix gently until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared tray and level the top with a spatula.
- Bake on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut the bun in half to create two layers.
- Spread enough berry jam on the bottom half and then cover with the top half.
- Cut the bun into 16 squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Try our recipes for 5 delicious gluten-free buns , which will leave you licking your lips. Get inspired!
Coconut Flour Banana Muffins
These soft and fluffy banana muffins will quickly become your favorite healthy breakfast. They are made from coconut flour and are naturally sweetened with maple syrup or honey. In addition, they contain no gluten or refined sugar.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips plus extra for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 175° Celsius.
- Grease a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with muffin liners and spray each one with nonstick spray.
- Set aside.
- Add all ingredients except the chocolate chips to a large blender and blend for 20 seconds until the batter is smooth (be careful not to overmix).
- Pour the chocolate chips into the dough and mix with a spoon.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin (should make exactly 12 muffins), then sprinkle each with a few more chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and wait 5 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy your meal!
We have presented six proven recipes for baking without wheat flour.
Don’t be afraid to add a little almond or coconut flour to desserts. You can easily make this by blending coconut or nuts.
Legume flours , such as chickpea flour, work well in cake batters or muffins.
On the other hand , cornmeal complements well with salty fillings.
And how did you like our recipes today? Write to us in the comments!