Fermented or fermented cabbage has quite a few culinary combinations in the kitchen.
This homemade delicacy is good to have in the pantry all year round.
It is full of vitamins and the advantage also comes from its shelf life.
We have prepared the tastiest sauerkraut recipes for you.
Cabbage salad from sauerkraut
The perfect winter side dish to the main course is a sauerkraut salad. Taste it!
- 500 g of sauerkraut
- 1 carrot
- 2 apples
- 1 tangerine
- powdered sugar
- Drain the cabbage (do not pour out the water) and finely chop.
- Peel the carrot and grate it on a coarse grater.
- We will do the same with apples.
- Add horseradish to taste, grate finely.
- We mix everything together.
- Season with sugar and add diced tangerine.
Would you like to make homemade sauerkraut in jars? See how to do it!
Stewed sauerkraut without flour
Do you need a tasty vitamin supplement for meat dishes? Then this steamed cabbage can come in handy. In addition, it is not thickened with flour.
- 500 g sauerkraut (white or red)
- 1 onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 tablespoon lard or oil
- caraway seeds
- Drain the cabbage, finely chop the onion.
- Fry the onion in oil or lard, then add the cabbage and season according to how sour it is.
- If we want to acidify it, we add a little pickle, if, on the other hand, it is sour, we add sugar.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin and cover with a little water.
- Peel the potato and finely grate it.
- Mix it with the cabbage and let it simmer until the cabbage thickens nicely.
Chicken baked on sauerkraut
Fermented cabbage also goes perfectly with chicken. It’s done when it has a nice crispy skin.
- 3 slices of bacon
- 8 Chicken Thursdays
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion
- 700 g of white or red sauerkraut
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 potatoes
- caraway seeds
- ground red pepper
- Peel the potatoes and finely grate them.
- Cut the bacon into cubes and fry it dry in a pan.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and garlic.
- Put drained cabbage mixed with potatoes in a baking dish, sprinkle with cumin and place chicken, onion slices, bay leaves and bacon on top.
- Bake at 200°C.
- During baking, occasionally pour chicken juice and water over it.
- Bake for about an hour.
Discover similar tips
Smoked sauerkraut juice soup
Do you have sauerkraut juice left over from the previous lunch and you don’t know how to use it other than drinking it? Try this hearty soup, which is particularly popular in Slovakia.
- 250 g of smoked meat
- 250 g pork neck
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 liter of sauerkraut juice
- 1 and ½ liters of water
- 3 medium potatoes
- homemade wide pasta
- Put water, cabbage juice, smoked meat and pork in a pot.
- Add salt (but not too much, the smoked one is salty enough), mushrooms that we let soak for at least half an hour, onion with skin on, peeled garlic and bring to a boil.
- Let the broth cook for about an hour, then add whole peeled potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- In the meantime, we will cook the pasta.
- Finally, season the soup.
- Served with pieces of cured meat, vegetables and pasta.
Fried sauerkraut pancakes
These pancakes are also a simple sauerkraut recipe. Still don’t know what to cook in a hurry?
- 500 g of cabbage
- 2 cups semi-coarse flour
- 1 and ½ cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- frying oil
- Put the flour in a bowl, add milk, eggs, salt, pepper, marjoram and mix.
- Add the squeezed sauerkraut and mix the dough.
- We fry in hot oil, where we form patties.
How about this sauerkraut recipe? Watch the video recipe:
The first cabbage appears already in late spring, but the main season is autumn, when cabbage plays with all the colors. Accordingly, we divide cabbage into white, red and sometimes also blue.
Are you wondering how to choose a quality fireplace for your home? In our review of electric fireplaces, we mentioned not only the most popular models, but also tips for choosing.
How do you know sauerkraut is spoiled?
Simply! If you loaded it correctly, smothered it and bathed it whole immersed in the optimal amount of juice and salt, fermented without access to air and after the fermentation period was kept at a temperature below 10 °C, there should be nothing wrong with it.
It naturally has a sulfur smell and a nice color. If the white cabbage is rather brown, it may be caused by the use of iodized salt, the age of the cabbage or high temperature fermentation. But if it doesn’t smell rotten, has no visible signs of mold, a gooey consistency, or an unusual taste, it should be perfectly fine.
How to properly season cabbage?
Taste the cabbage first. If it is too sour, pour the vinegar into a glass and keep it for something else. During cooking, sweeten the cabbage nicely and cover it with varnish diluted with water. We then season the slightly sour cabbage with wine or spirit vinegar. We regulate the harmony of acidity and sweetness by adding sugar.
For additional seasoning, in addition to salt and pepper, use bay leaves, cloves, allspice and cumin on the cabbage.
Feel free to add an apple or pineapple to the stewed cabbage.
If you fancy baked cabbage , you can again use our recipes on the website.